Are the roads beyond repair in your area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Funny how some very local places suffer, year in, year out.
Headed from Pondersbridge to Ramsey Mereside, the approach to Mereside has been terrible for the last 3 years (and probably longer), quickly growing potholes that become long long sections that jar the heck out of your car.
They've just resurfaced (properly I think, no dressing, just fresh tarmac) about a mile section JUST before Mereside AND did a few potholes at the Mereside end....only for very fresh potholes to appear where they've filled others. The fresh tarmac is ok, its just this 1/2 mile section at the end...why they didn't just do the lot I don't know.

Meta Ion mentioned the A47, I went that way maybe 2 years ago, some of the worst i'd seen, hundreds of yards of broken up tarmac.

KneesUp

Guru
The roads in Shrffield are famously poor, though the local authority have now contracted a company to start a programme of resurfacing.
One of the roads on my route is terrible, it's just a mess of pot holes. I have to do a right turn, but I dare not let go of the handlebars to signal. As its downhill and I'm freewheeling at this point I generally signal with my leg and hope the drivers get the gist!
I concur - Sheffield is awful, and new holes appear every day on my route, which is no fun in the dark. I too find it impossible to ride with one hand on certain roads. The resurfacing is little more than a scrape of the top layer and a new top layer put on - it seems like they fill the holes with tarmac rather than the proper aggregate, so the same holes will appear in the same places.

[Parochial mode] Abbeydale Road was only done a few moths ago and the other week they had to cone off a massive hole at the bottom of Woodseats Road. The residential street my in-laws live on genuinely looked like they'd just painted it black. Archer Road has to be the worst though - not only does it always seem to have a headwind both ways at the same time, it has a surface that is a patchwork of craters joined by holes, liberally scattered with all the loose bits that used to be the road which gather on the corners - and on the odd bit where there aren't holes, the surface looks like they finished it with a road roller studded with marbles. When they re-do it, it will no doubt be like a billiard table for a fortnight, as bad as it is now within two years and worse before they do it again.]

Don't see any around here. I guess as we all vote tory we get our reward!!

I think all the 4x4s will be getting up a petition to let the roads go bad so that they can be smugger as they drive through the holes.

Oddly when a hole does appear, there is a man that comes along with a can of paint and draws around the hole in blue paint. Seems a bit of a waste of time as I am sure the man with the tar will know where it should go without guidance.

hoopdriver

Guru
My wife blew a tyre on her way home from work tonight, near Sedelscomb in East Sussex, hitting a pothole that is nearly calf-deep and more than a foot wide. (She has photos) while she was waiting for the rescue truck, three more people shredded tyres on the same hole. That is ridiculous...

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not think there is the workforce nor money to get the roads back, as quick as a mile is fixed two degrade.

JMAG

Über Member
I live in Windsor and commute to Slough via Eton. The roads are quite poor and I ride a hybrid with 700x35 tyres.

The best stretch of tarmac round here is the "long walk" which runs through Windsor Great Park right up to the castle, but you're not even allowed to push a cycle along it! Very tempting mind, especially from the top :smile:

20150218_154750.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
And something else that grinds my gears.

Why do they send some bloke out in the hissing rain to fill a pot pot hole with a lump of cold set tarmac type stuff? Even if it's not washed away before it sets it has the life expectancy of a deep fried Mars Bar addict?

Fix it properly, fix it once. It takes what it takes, costs what it costs, there's no bodge around that.

Slioch

Guru
When we first started going abroad for our holidays and hiring cars some 30 odd years ago, the state of the roads in "backward" countries like Portugal & Spain always used to cause a chuckle, and there was smug reflection on how lucky we were by comparison with the excellent roads we had back in Blighty.
Ye gods, how times have changed.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My wife blew a tyre on her way home from work tonight, near Sedelscomb in East Sussex, hitting a pothole that is nearly calf-deep and more than a foot wide. (She has photos) while she was waiting for the rescue truck, three more people shredded tyres on the same hole. That is ridiculous...

Unemployed Guide Dog seeks new career opportunity....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I commute and ride in west London. It very much depends on the borough. Kensington is pretty good, as is most of Richmond. Hammersmith and Fulham is Third World. Wandsworth is not too bad. The further east you go, the worse it gets it seems.

Edit: I love the excuses used like "exceptionally harsh winter weather". Odd how the Swiss, French and Germans manage in the Alps, isn't it?

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There are far too many cars on the roads and it'll only get worse! We're a lazy nation, Proven when i cycled past two car washes today with people queuing in the cycle lane :angry:,willing to wait a good while for someone to wash their car,while the DIY power washers were left un-used. If they could queue up to have their arses wiped many would do! Too many cars equals too many pot holes!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are far too many cars on the roads and it'll only get worse! We're a lazy nation, Proven when i cycled past two car washes today with people queuing in the cycle lane :angry:,willing to wait a good while for someone to wash their car,while the DIY power washers were left un-used. If they could queue up to have their arses wiped many would do! Too many cars equals too many pot holes!
They probably pay people to wash their windows for them too! :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3553508, member: 9609"]what do you do for a living ? I'm a professional bum wiper. home visits at a premium.
I have been thinking of coming out of retirement, and anything would be better than driving a truck - I have one of those things for buffing up paintwork on cars - could come in handy.[/QUOTE]

I'm a window cleaner and folk think I have a dirty job!. Nothing in comparison to arse wiping though!:ohmy: Mind you if you're serious about going back into bum wiping it might be a wise choice. There are many fatties out there who just can't reach those crucial bits. May i suggest a drive in arse wash charging say around 2 quid a wash!xx( :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom