Are there any BT customers on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have a question to ask British Telecom. However, I am sure they will not answer a question from someone who is not a customer.

My elderly mother is a customer in the Coventry area. She thinks that her contract with BT runs out at the end of August and they have said they need to put a new telephone line into her house. I think this "Contract" is the current broadband system, and that it is being up-graded, not discontinued.

She has been sent an email along the line of "Welcome to your Broadband Sport Channel" :scratch:

She has a "hub phone" which was rarely, if ever, used. I think they are going to take this out. She thinks they will be laying a new cable from the street, down her driveway and into the house.

If you are, or have, experienced something similar with BT, could you very kindly advise me what might be going on.

I have tried using BT's on-line customer enquiry system with zero success. I hope someone can help please.

Leodis

Veteran
Your mum can now watch all the top premiership games for free.. Should I bring the beers?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm not really sure either, the hub phone comes with the Homehub 2 and she'll probably be getting a Homehub 4 or (maybe 3) if she's agreed to a new contract, which don't have the hub phone anymore as they're designed for Infinity which doesn't support the hub phone. I'd guess they phoned her and offered her Infinity, which means a new homehub and hooking up some fibre nearby, or into the house if she were on the much rarer and more expensive version of Infinity.

From previous experience with BT, I'd be careful about trying to cancel the upgrade as these things have a tendency of leaving you in limbo without a connection. :sad:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
sounds like she is being upgraded to infinity to me as well.
the sports channels are free and connected with BT Vision but will also be available (to certain customers, i.e though who have faster broadband than me) via internet... http://www.bt.com/sport/
I entered my dad's sky viewing card number and unlocked BT1&2 and ESPN on there for him, as per usual BT pretty much anything like this signs you up to a new contract though. :sad:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Thank you for all your replies.

:scratch: She has got BT vision.

So if it is an upgrade to BT Infinity, is that a cable or wireless? I might have to try BT's technical help again.
If you go to http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity and click the "can I get infinity", enter her landline number it should tell you what's available. My guess is that she'll be on one of the FTTC (option 1/2 IIRC) packages, where its fibre optic to the cabinet in the street and then a very short fast DSL phone line connection to said cabinet. There's a link on the results that says "show me all packages" or something which will show you all those she could be on.

I'm not sure what the installation involves if anything noticeable as I have the other option :smile:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
They are probably just updating the cable if she hasn't upgraded her broadband. BT don't normally come out to run a new cable. If she has ordered infinity they might come to the house and put a new face plate on the socket. When she re -contracts her broadband they will probably give her a new router and the hub phone will be discontinued. I got this info of DD she works for a call centre that sell some of BT services.

Top Bottom