Are there any CCrs that no longer cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Reason for asking is.....I am beginning to feel a bit of a fraud.
Since long haul covid got me last April I have not been able to ride.
Fatigue is a issue but I can get over that with an ebike. The dangerous part is my lack of balance.....I daren't ride on a public road (last time I tried I lost balance and fell off).
I gave myself a target of this coming April but will see what happens.
This is not a moan, I really enjoy CC but wonder ???

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Don't feel a fraud. You have a legitmate reason for not cycling. No one is going to say he doesn't cycle so he can't post here. I am sure there are quite a few who don't ride who post. :okay:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Fatigue is a issue but I can get over that with an ebike. The dangerous part is my lack of balance.....I daren't ride on a public road (last time I tried I lost balance and fell off).

Please don't feel like a fraud. You've been poorly and you are still making a long, slow recovery. Cycling will be there when you're better.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't cycled for many months and last year probably didn't ride more than 100 miles. Since my hip and leg breaks over 4 years ago my right leg is probably down to 30 percent of the strength it had before my breaks. I can hardly lift it as well,so i don't think i'd be able to pedal a bike. I haven't given up on cycling. I still have my 3 bikes and all my cycling clothing etc. After 30 or so years of cycling i didn't become a non cyclist in a few months,just because i'm off the road at the moment.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Only if you go over one year off of the bike. ^_^

Seriously, you are not a fraud. It's just some temporary down time.

Just get out as soon as you feel able. And use CC (as you do) to keep the desire going.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I also have an intermittent lack of balance and have lost confidence on 2 wheels. When the weather warms up I may try again but in the meantime I got a tadpole trike which gets me out and keeps the legs moving albeit with different muscles. Where you live you should be able to pick up a used one pretty cheap. Warning you need low gears to get up the hills.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Most of us don't cycle much in the winter months and it certainly applies to me as I don't want to risk injuries through bad weather, icy roads, short daylight hours, leaves etc.... but I don't regard myself as a fraud and you shouldn't either. It is obvious that you are still interested in cycling and this is what counts. You have strong reasons for being off the bike at the moment but it doesn't mean the good times won't come back.
In the meantime, keep that bicycle in good working order. :okay:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
As others have said, you have a legitimate reason for not cycling at the moment. In the before times I was only ever really a commuting cyclist. I have an MTB that I need to fix and a road bike that I've used twice in 6 years, but I'd do a bike/train/bike commute every day and get 40 minutes or so of exercise and downtime while I was doing it.

I spent four months without leaving the house, and when I did go back to work for a few months I ended up owning a car for the first time in 11 years as I wouldn't go on London/Stansted/Birmingham bound trains with air-conditioning. Now my commute takes longer and it's all sitting in traffic, stressed out and sedentary.

One day I hope to return to cycling but it will depend on me getting a vaccine. I tell myself this is not forever.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We all get poorly or injured from time to time, or even life gets in the way.

On the reverse, guess what I did today, five years after busting my spine from a silly driver...

My second road ride on my Ribble, in the freezing cold, icy roads, and biting wind.

byegad

Legendary Member
After a chest infection so severe that I was suspected of having lung cancer in 2017, I got out a few times in 2018, having lost a huge amount of my always poor fitness. By mid 2019 I was riding close to normal distances. Until I had Tonsillar Cellulitis in early November which saw me have a short stay in hospital, then in mid November Lady Byegad had her Brain abscess, resulting in her operation and convalescence/rehab' taking 2 full months. After Lady Byegad had been home for a few weeks we locked ourselves down, shortly before BoJo finally got around to it. So over the last 15 months I've covered a couple of miles, popping over to the other side of the village to check on my son's house, he's an essential worker who works for the time away from home.
I still count myself as a cyclist. Because I will be back........

Top Bottom