Are there any CCrs that no longer cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I last got on a bike in April. I've since sold it and bought a motorcycle having decided to retire from pedal power. It's the first time I've been without a bicycle since I was thirteen but I'm still on two wheels so I'm a sort of cyclist, even if it has an engine instead of pedals.

I still like bikes, particularly retros and follow the sport but I'll almost certainly never turn a pedal again. I've enjoyed it, raced, toured and all the other stuff but nothing is forever.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Reason for asking is.....I am beginning to feel a bit of a fraud.
Since long haul covid got me last April I have not been able to ride.
Fatigue is a issue but I can get over that with an ebike. The dangerous part is my lack of balance.....I daren't ride on a public road (last time I tried I lost balance and fell off).
I gave myself a target of this coming April but will see what happens.
This is not a moan, I really enjoy CC but wonder ???
I haven't cycled for many months and last year probably didn't ride more than 100 miles. Since my hip/leg break over 4 years ago my right leg is probably down to 30 percent of the strength it had before my breaks. I can hardly lift it as well,so i don't think i'd be able to pedal a bike. I haven't given up on cycling. I still have my 3 bikes and all my cycling clothing etc. After 30 or so years of cycling i didn't become a non cyclist in a few months,just because i'm off the road at the moment.
View attachment 573572

raleighnut

Legendary Member
CC won't allow me to open that ??

Brandane

Legendary Member
I haven't completely given it up, but my bike usage is way, way, down on previous years. Probably peaked about 4 years ago and been reducing since then. The recent excuse is that I get bored with doing the same old local roads all the time and since Covid has effectively put anything else out of bounds, I can't be bothered - plain and simple. The winter weather doesn't help; it's either sub zero temps with an east wind - or wet with the wind from the south/west. I did recently resign from my job though, so once boredom kicks in I might well turn to cycling again but not looking forward to trying to regain fitness, that is too much like hard work. I do miss the days when I thought nothing of heading out and doing 50 or 60 miles in a ride, and taking my holidays wandering around France on a bike.

Yeah,i've thought about a tricycle,but i haven't the storage space for one. It's the same with electric bikes. I just haven't the space.:sad:
Not sure I understand you accy. I had the idea that you had room for a non folder non ebike. So why not an ebike? - some of the modern ones you have to look twice to figure out where the battery is. And if weight is a problem for indoor shifting, detach the battery?
applogies if I have missed something - also I'm not claiming to be ANY sort of ebike expert.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
E-trike? (Would help with pedalling; wouldn't solve the storage issue though.)
Yes,that storage space problem again. I know i've mentioned them before in a non nice way,but the housing association that own my flat could be a bit more helpful. When i was in their building across the road they let me put my 3 bikes in the former dustbin storage room (about 10 feet by 5 feet),but they won't let me use that empty room now,even when believe it or not a police officer asked them to let me,on my behalf. That little room would be perfect for a tricycle,an E-bike,even a mobility scooter,but no they are being bloody awkward about it! They have a load of bollox on their web page about 'going out of their way to help the disabled and vulnerable' blah blah,yet they'll leave a room empty rather than let a disabled person use it!:thumbsdown:

Yes,that storage space problem again. I know i've mentioned them before in a non nice way,but the housing association that own my flat could be a bit more helpful. When i was in their building across the road they let me put my 3 bikes in the former dustbin storage room (about 10 feet by 5 feet),but they won't let me use that empty room now,even when believe it or not a police officer asked them to let me,on my behalf. That little room would be perfect for a tricycle,an E-bike,even a mobility scooter,but no they are being bloody awkward about it! They have a load of bollox on their web page about 'going out of their way to help the disabled and vulnerable' blah blah,yet they'll leave a room empty rather than let a disabled person use it!:thumbsdown:
ah you sort of answered my above question. They sound totally unreasonable. Top marks to the copper.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not sure I understand you accy. I had the idea that you had room for a non folder non ebike. So why not an ebike? - some of the modern ones you have to look twice to figure out where the battery is. And if weight is a problem for indoor shifting, detach the battery?
applogies if I have missed something - also I'm not claiming to be ANY sort of ebike expert.
Oh,i didn't know the batteries were detachable. That's very helpful!:okay: I just could not push a 19kg bike up my stairs and even worse,try and maneuver it down the stairs!

GM

Legendary Member
I had back surgery in August and have cycled half a dozen times since then. I'm waiting for the @potsy 'couch to 100mile' training plan before I get on my bike again.

Sorry to hear about your back op Rocky, hope it's on the mend. :okay:

I haven't been for a proper bike ride since November when I was diagnosed with an Inguinal Hernia, apart from a trip to Screwfix on the Brompton half a mile away. Looks like I might have a long wait for treatment the way things are at the moment. Feet up and Netflix for me then!
I keep promising myself I'll make up for it one day.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
ah you sort of answered my above question. They sound totally unreasonable. Top marks to the copper.
Yes,she came back kind of shaking her head at their attitude. She said they didn't give a proper reason. They just said "He doesn't live in the sheltered accommodation,so he isn't allowed".

Compare the HA's attitude to that of the local Morrisons supermarket. A member of their staff asked her boss if i could wheel my mutt,in his buggy,in the store. They didn't hesitate in saying yes,so some are actually genuinely disability friendly..unlike Onward Homes.

1613156331717.png

1613156389578.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Oh,i didn't know the batteries were detachable. That's very helpful!:okay: I just could not push a 19kg bike up my stairs and even worse,try and maneuver it down the stairs!
Some/many have detachable batteries. Others eg Ribble have the batteries inside the tube.
Even so the Ribble hybrid only weigh 12.5 Kg (according to their web site)

Top Bottom