Are there any CCrs that no longer cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Reason for asking is.....I am beginning to feel a bit of a fraud.
Since long haul covid got me last April I have not been able to ride.
Fatigue is a issue but I can get over that with an ebike. The dangerous part is my lack of balance.....I daren't ride on a public road (last time I tried I lost balance and fell off).
I gave myself a target of this coming April but will see what happens.
This is not a moan, I really enjoy CC but wonder ???
Don't beat yourself up mate. Sounds like you are being very sensible not cycling if it isn't safe. Have you considered a turbo & online cycling? I used to hate it, but during the 1st lockdown last year it was a saviour for me. Found a very sociable group on zwift & spend many hours on there now, I even enjoy solo sessions on the turbo now :okay: With covid around ( I know it's very low risk out cycling) & the crap uk weather I think I've only been out twice myself in the last 10 weeks & that was to get my imperial century qualifiers in :laugh: Hopefully your April target is achievable safely & the weather is suitable too 👍

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How old are you @Dave7, if That's not too personal?

As I've got older I have had a few serious injuries and a neck operation which have kept me off the bike for several months at a time over the past seven years. I must admit that each successive lay-off takes a bit longer to get back from. I've been struggling since August with lower back and leg pain that keeps me awake for hours at night, but luckily eases a bit in the day and I have been managing a couple of rides a week (not this week :cold:). I am nervous about giving up until I get my back sorted in case I just get out of the habit.

Obviously I cannot give you any advice about recovery from Covid as this is all new territory to everyone, but good luck for a full recovery.

Strangely enough I have had balance issues for a few years, but never when riding the bike, in fact I feel safer on the bike.
Hi Rusty.
I will be 74 in 3 days time.
Going back maybe 6 years I was quietly and smugly boasting to myself about how healthy I was. Then I got cancer but after 4 ops I (with help from a superb surgeon) got over it.
Happily cycling but distance reduced to 30ish miles......then this lot hit me.
No reasoning to this but I gave myself till spring to beat it.
The last 2 days I have been for short walks with some very short jogs thrown in ^_^
Onwards and upwards I hope.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Don't beat yourself up mate. Sounds like you are being very sensible not cycling if it isn't safe. Have you considered a turbo & online cycling? I used to hate it, but during the 1st lockdown last year it was a saviour for me. Found a very sociable group on zwift & spend many hours on there now, I even enjoy solo sessions on the turbo now :okay: With covid around ( I know it's very low risk out cycling) & the crap uk weather I think I've only been out twice myself in the last 10 weeks & that was to get my imperial century qualifiers in :laugh: Hopefully your April target is achievable safely & the weather is suitable too 👍
I have a decent exercise bike that I did use over winter. Quite enjoy 30 minutes, radio/cd on, having a nosey up the close.
Sadly I have been too weak up to now.
Can't put my finger on it and it might be in my head but I feel/hope I may be turning a corner. I really hope so.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just lock it and park the boot up against something?
You must live in a nicer area than Accy seems to. Your tactic would only be a slight inconvenience, about 5 seconds to smash window, release handbrake, gear into neutral, and a quick push. Then you have not only lost the bike, but also have damage to the car to pay for, to remedy whatever means the bike thief has used to gain entry.
You are also assuming off street parking facilities somewhere to enable "parking the boot up against something". Again something that Accy, like myself, might not have access to.
I live in a reasonably quiet area as far as crime is concerned, but no way would I leave any bike in my car overnight!

stephec

Legendary Member
I went out for a ride in July 2015 and then left it for a week, which then became a month, etc etc.

At the end of 2015 I started running as it was less time consuming, then last summer I had a knee injury so put the winter bike on the turbo for half an hour.

Then a few days later I went out for ten miles on the summer bike, and that's it, my knee is right again so I've not touched the bike since.

vickster

Legendary Member
You must live in a nicer area than Accy seems to. Your tactic would only be a slight inconvenience, about 5 seconds to smash window, release handbrake, gear into neutral, and a quick push. Then you have not only lost the bike, but also have damage to the car to pay for, to remedy whatever means the bike thief has used to gain entry.
You are also assuming off street parking facilities somewhere to enable "parking the boot up against something". Again something that Accy, like myself, might not have access to.
I live in a reasonably quiet area as far as crime is concerned, but no way would I leave any bike in my car overnight!
It was just a suggestion :okay:
Where do his current bikes live? If somewhere secure, he can move those on if never going to be used, and use the space for a trike if that’s something he is actually interested in

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
You must live in a nicer area than Accy seems to.
Oh aye, Lancashire is well know for its marauding gangs of cloth cap wearing geriatrics, threatening young people with flick knives and chains and strealing their mobile phones.

Its been likened to Peaky Blinders, but with more "oh-aye"s and a musty smell of cabbage pervading the county. It has been said that Cillian Murphy's Lancs cousin has not aged at all well.

I'm just amazed that @Accy cyclist has lived the the advanced age that he has. He's either very lucky, or else he's King Rat.

Hi Rusty.
I will be 74 in 3 days time.
Going back maybe 6 years I was quietly and smugly boasting to myself about how healthy I was. Then I got cancer but after 4 ops I (with help from a superb surgeon) got over it.
Happily cycling but distance reduced to 30ish miles......then this lot hit me.
No reasoning to this but I gave myself till spring to beat it.
The last 2 days I have been for short walks with some very short jogs thrown in ^_^
Onwards and upwards I hope.

Just a few months older than me. I have always prided myself on being fit and healthy for my age, but tbh over the last few years the downward slope has got more noticeable. I am planning to keep on cycling for many years yet because it still gives me a great deal of pleasure, but I will have no hesitation in getting an e-bike should the hills, which there are a lot of round here, get too much of a struggle.

Oh aye, Lancashire is well know for its marauding gangs of cloth cap wearing geriatrics, threatening young people with flick knives and chains and strealing their mobile phones.

Its been likened to Peaky Blinders, but with more "oh-aye"s and a musty smell of cabbage pervading the county. It has been said that Cillian Murphy's Lancs cousin has not aged at all well.

I'm just amazed that @Accy cyclist has lived the the advanced age that he has. He's either very lucky, or else he's King Rat.

View: https://youtu.be/1ckXn9NirHA

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just a few months older than me. I have always prided myself on being fit and healthy for my age, but tbh over the last few years the downward slope has got more noticeable. I am planning to keep on cycling for many years yet because it still gives me a great deal of pleasure, but I will have no hesitation in getting an e-bike should the hills, which there are a lot of round here, get too much of a struggle.
Where are you Rusty ?
Cheshire is flat compared to some areas but assuming I beat this Ì plan to get an ebike.

Where are you Rusty ?
Cheshire is flat compared to some areas but assuming I beat this Ì plan to get an ebike.

Cardiff. OK along the coast but any rides away from the coast involve hills. My favourite rides, which I have not done since the lockdown, are in the Brecon Beacons.

I cheat by driving up to the Beacons as the trip from Cardiff to Merthyr is boring and would make the Beacons too long a ride for me. I rarely do any rides more than 40 miles long. An e-bike could change that though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Accy cyclist When he was in his 40s

mens_cycle_costume_victorian_3.jpg

Top Bottom