Are there any CCrs that no longer cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And this is his ex...? :whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to cycle almost daily (not very far, a mere three miles to work and back), but that stopped at the end of July last year when my employer transferred me to a new store which is a five minute walk.

I still cycle to my mother's, and when we're allowed out I'll be cycling to visit friends who are more than a 15 minute walk away... and come spring, the leisure rides will begin again... but I've barely cycled at all in the last 6 months

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I didn't cycle for the first few years I was in HK, I was living in Sheung Wan at the time so cycling opportunities were slim.

Now in the northern New Territories with lots of cycle routes, and much less traffic. :okay:

I gave up in mid 2019 (in my 60s) after riding became more and more uncomfortable in my nether regions, a feeling lasting for longer and longer after each ride. No variation of saddle design, riding position or anything else made a difference. I didn’t fancy recumbents or the like. Saw the doc about it. Just reached my limit I think. I decided enough was enough. No complaints - I enjoyed cycling for a good many years - but I didn’t want to risk damaging myself.

My bikes and a load of biking gear and tools got passed to family members, creating at least one enthusiastic and regular cyclist in the process. The old shed that was my bikes‘ home for many years of all-weather almost daily cycling is going to vanish when we rearrange the garden in summer.

Wanting to keep fit some other way, I settled on running, starting the week after my last ever bikeride. I had always hated running, ever since school where it felt like a punishment, but thought I’d give it a bash. I started with the “Couch To 5k“ program with “Laura” coaching and urging me on that first summer, and absolutely loved it. I have run for 4-5 miles 4 times a week ever since without missing any weeks. A bit like cycling used to be, I now get annoyed if for some reason I can’t go running.

I gave up in mid 2019 (in my 60s) after riding became more and more uncomfortable in my nether regions, a feeling lasting for longer and longer after each ride. No variation of saddle design, riding position or anything else made a difference. I didn’t fancy recumbents or the like. Saw the doc about it. Just reached my limit I think. I decided enough was enough. No complaints - I enjoyed cycling for a good many years - but I didn’t want to risk damaging myself.

My bikes and a load of biking gear and tools got passed to family members, creating at least one enthusiastic and regular cyclist in the process. The old shed that was my bikes‘ home for many years of all-weather almost daily cycling is going to vanish when we rearrange the garden in summer.

Wanting to keep fit some other way, I settled on running, starting the week after my last ever bikeride. I had always hated running, ever since school where it felt like a punishment, but thought I’d give it a bash. I started with the “Couch To 5k“ program with “Laura” coaching and urging me on that first summer, and absolutely loved it. I have run for 4-5 miles 4 times a week ever since without missing any weeks. A bit like cycling used to be, I now get annoyed if for some reason I can’t go running.

If I hadn't had to give up running after knee and back problems I wouldn't be cycling now. I am glad I took up cycling but I'm thankful I didn't have to choose between running and cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
both are off the menu at the moment, and next month i’m changing jobs that i won’t be able to commute on bike to..
Cabbie for Addison Lee?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I didn't cycle for the first few years I was in HK, I was living in Sheung Wan at the time so cycling opportunities were slim.

Now in the northern New Territories with lots of cycle routes, and much less traffic. :okay:
Summer cycling in HK must be tough. I rented a MTB on Lantau Island once on a July business trip. Humidity was stifling. I ended up getting off the bike and standing under a waterfall to cool down
November-March must be great though

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Summer cycling in HK must be tough. I rented a MTB on Lantau Island once on a July business trip. Humidity was stifling. I ended up getting off the bike and standing under a waterfall to cool down
November-March must be great though

Summer cycling isn't fun I'm afraid. Temps 35c+ and 90%+ humidity and Lantau is very hilly, especially the road between Tai O and Tung Chung. Also, it rains. A lot. I have indoor rollers for that if it gets too wet, especially in August.

November to March/April is just superb. Low humidity and it's the dry season, so very little rain and constant sunshine. Will be doing Lantau again before it gets too hot though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom