Are there any CCrs that no longer cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Sorry to hear about your back op Rocky, hope it's on the mend. :okay:

I haven't been for a proper bike ride since November when I was diagnosed with an Inguinal Hernia, apart from a trip to Screwfix on the Brompton half a mile away. Looks like I might have a long wait for treatment the way things are at the moment. Feet up and Netflix for me then!
I keep promising myself I'll make up for it one day.
I hope you are not too uncomfortable, GM, and that you get a date soon.

I slipped my L4/L5 disc and ended up with awful sciatica which bent me double. I had to wait 10 months for an op - which worked a treat. I'm walking now but not riding. I'd hate to come off the bike on the ice and do some more damage.

I, too, keep telling myself that I'll make up for it when the weather is better........although in reality, I'll probably just do my 10 mile local loop on my Brompton.

Blue

Legendary Member
A few years back my wife got diagnosed with dementia and what with having to take on her full time care I have had to content myself with cycling on a turbo all year round - I just use a big fan and put up with the sweat in the summer.

Over the years I've solved the boredom issue by learning a language as I pedal.

I miss cycling outdoors and competing in TT's but have to admit that cycling indoors can be safer and take less time out of each day.

I hope you are not too uncomfortable, GM, and that you get a date soon.

I slipped my L4/L5 disc and ended up with awful sciatica which bent me double. I had to wait 10 months for an op - which worked a treat. I'm walking now but not riding. I'd hate to come off the bike on the ice and do some more damage.

I, too, keep telling myself that I'll make up for it when the weather is better........although in reality, I'll probably just do my 10 mile local loop on my Brompton.

glad to see you are on the mend

I havent done much cycling at all in the last year, very little, but hope that may change

I am no more than an occasional cyclist/ebikeist. Mainly riding to the local beach in summer, or to the shops in summer, when car parking near town becomes nigh on impossible.
But I follow the forums (fora?) all year round very happily.

gbb

Legendary Member
Still a cyclist but not a fraction of what I used to.
TB , pneumonia and a bout of plueritis resulting in a tethered lung saw me off the bike altogether for 2 years.
After about 3 or 4 years I just got commuting occasionally again (14 miles each way) , began to enjoy it again and got OA, now I just ache too much to do any more than 10 miles at a time.
I used to feel bad about it, like a fraud in a way....but life is what it is, you get to accept it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
pretty sure they are on some at least - for charging etc. then there are conversion kits for "normal" bikes. @Pale Rider would have the info you need.

Ebikes and stairs are not a good fit, but as @Blue Hills says, most batteries are removable which would take two or three kg off the weight.

Folders are a dead loss, all except the Brompton have bits sticking out all over the place, and they tend to be heavier because thicker tubes are needed for non-diamond frames.

The most wieldy ebike for stairs would probably be a 20" wheel compact frame one, rather like a Raleigh Twenty/Shopper.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah,i've thought about a tricycle,but i haven't the storage space for one. It's the same with electric bikes. I just haven't the space.:sad:

Edit....and like i said earlier,would i be able to turn the pedals?
Just keep it in the boot of your car (assuming it’s a proper Mini hatch and not one of those ridiculous convertibles)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pah! My breakfast weighs more than that.

Double pah - my grandma's breakfast weighs more than that.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Trouble is with them folding trike jobbies is that they are eye wateringly expensive. For me anyway.... Im not sure id feel comfortable with it anywhere that wasn't under my bed at night, let alone in a car with a few mm of glass from stopping it from being carried away by a local meth addict...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Trouble is with them folding trike jobbies is that they are eye wateringly expensive. For me anyway.... Im not sure id feel comfortable with it anywhere that wasn't under my bed at night, let alone in a car with a few mm of glass from stopping it from being carried away by a local meth addict...
Same thoughts here! Not only that, but i'd have to take the front wheel off to get it in.:thumbsdown:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just keep it in the boot of your car (assuming it’s a proper Mini hatch and not one of those ridiculous convertibles)
1613169208404.png

:okay:

How old are you @Dave7, if That's not too personal?

As I've got older I have had a few serious injuries and a neck operation which have kept me off the bike for several months at a time over the past seven years. I must admit that each successive lay-off takes a bit longer to get back from. I've been struggling since August with lower back and leg pain that keeps me awake for hours at night, but luckily eases a bit in the day and I have been managing a couple of rides a week (not this week :cold:). I am nervous about giving up until I get my back sorted in case I just get out of the habit.

Obviously I cannot give you any advice about recovery from Covid as this is all new territory to everyone, but good luck for a full recovery.

Strangely enough I have had balance issues for a few years, but never when riding the bike, in fact I feel safer on the bike.

Top Bottom