Are there any Gardeners on here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,
I've just ripped out a load of old leggy lavender from my garden replacing it with more but am now looking for some flowering ground cover plants that will spread through the growing season and hopefully give the bees that visit my lavender each year something to forage on longer than just the lavender flowering season. I would also like some that would cover the bare soil under a bed of roses my misses has in the back garden .Any ideas anyone ?

Brad

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

accountantpete

Brexiteer
For the autumn the smaller winged insects and butterflies love the taller Sedum varieties.

SedumMeteorButterflies.jpg

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I have a low growing comfrey that the bees love early on in the season its one of the first things to flower in my garden, then later in the summer I harvest some of the leaves for my compost bin and I also make Comfrey tea with the leaves for feeding my plants.

I had my eye on low growing and spreading thymes (and/or oregano, marjoram) - but they'd flower same time as your lavender, I think. Good among the roses?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Thank you Vernon, for that link, I found the name of a Veronica that I was trying to identify. It is similar to Veronicastrum Fascination, but is called Pointed Finger.

The RHS needs to put itself about a bit more. It is a really good source of information.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The local Horticultural college do afternoon courses, two hours on various topics. I went to one on cuttings and learnt a lot in two hours. I now have three buddleia plants growing well, and about a dozen potentillas.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The local Horticultural college do afternoon courses, two hours on various topics. They use RHS tutors. I went to one on cuttings and learnt a lot in two hours. I now have three buddleia plants growing well, and about a dozen potentillas.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The local Horticultural college do afternoon courses, two hours on various topics. They use RHS tutors. I went to one on cuttings and learnt a lot in two hours. I now have three buddleia plants growing well, and about a dozen potentillas.
It's rewarding making new plants from cuttings: I managed to grow an outdoor grapevine this way :dance:doesn't make grapes, I'm in Scotland after all :sad:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes it is rewarding. They are being carefully looked after, and now we have some slightly warmer weather, they are growing fairly quickly. I still cover them up at night, to keep them warm and cosy.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
We have a sping/autumn flowering clematis that never fails. Late April/early May we get a bloom of vanilla smelling blossoms (imagine sitting in your garden with the smell of white chocolate).It then dies off and then re-blossoms late August/early September. The problem for me, is that this particular clematis has spread about 15/20 linear metres, and Mrs R is a chocoholic. Get her out of the garden......I don't think so.........barsteward plants!:angry:

Top Bottom