Are there any quiet roads left in England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Watching the TdF on tele, I was simply staggered by the number of people at the roadsides. Obviously, cycling is very popular and the tour captured the imagination but clearly it indicates also that there is a big population.

As someone living in rural France with an intention to return to England one day, I'm getting the impression that I'll find roads busy and towns crowded.

Is it possible to ride without cars passing frequently? If so, where?

Generally, anywhere outside of the South East of England. Although even here there are pockets of calm such as parts of Kent or Suffolk.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
watching cycling is much much more popular than doing cycling and the big population turned out in its cars and shuttle busses for the novelty value of the TdF. Watching the TV on Saturday, there were plenty of deserted stretches and half a mile down from the top of the mad busy spectator bus drop off point near the Cragg Vale climb there was oceans of space to watch in.

Barely any distance outside of the urban areas and connurbations you can still find plenty of quiet roads and fun to be had. Maybe not rural France quiet but you'll not be choking on exhaust fumes. Also 99%+ of drivers are decent enough and give you space & no hassle, we only tend to post and comment on the isolated bad incidents not the run of the mill good.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Also 99%+ of drivers are decent enough and give you space & no hassle

Tbh, that was my experience when I rode from Llanelli to west London last year. It quite surprised and pleased me. It was only as I got closer to London that things started getting a bit silly.

GrasB

Veteran
I live near Cambridge & besides crossings the odd busy A road you can stay clear of traffic with only a handful of car passes per hour, it's just about keeping to the smaller back roads.

stephec

Legendary Member
Wales is the place to be. Plenty of country lanes that have no traffic on them at all. You can go for miles without seeing another living soul, or vehicle.
That's because you've scared them all away. :biggrin:

On a more serious note, before I read the dragon's post I thought, "do you mean England or Britain?"

Brandane

Legendary Member
Forget the English rat race; you need to come a bit further north! Here is the traffic on my cycle commute (seriously):

DSC00958_zpsf8782c7b.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Depends - if you're near towns, you'll likely find them being used as rat runs.

Personally, I like to get out early on Sundays (7am - 8am) and aim to be back before lunch to avoid the worst of it.

stephec

Legendary Member
Depends - if you're near towns, you'll likely find them being used as rat runs.

This is it.

I spend a lot of my time travelling round for work and stick mainly to major roads.

When I have to visit out of the way places though all the tiny back roads have people blasting down them at rush hour, but in the middle of the day are nice and quiet.

A week ago when I came out of Hartlebury near Kidderminster I went for about ten minutes round the lanes and only saw one other car and an old guy plodding along on an old roadster.

GentlyBenevolent

Personally, I like to get out early on Sundays (7am - 8am) and aim to be back before lunch to avoid the worst of it.

Have to agree - Saturday or Sunday early doors is the best time to get some miles in, although you get less of a window on Saturday. In the north-west it's pretty quiet most of the time off the main A roads, but the few times I've got out at 6am on a Sunday it's been deserted.

Top Bottom