Are there any quiet roads left in England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squid lips

Try cumbria if you can avoid pensioners in micra's it's great

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
If you wish to escape the Birmingham conurbation is the canal network an option via use of the towpaths?
Yes, I did go up to Brum to try out a Sky Ride with my Brummie mate a couple of years ago, and we ended up enjoying the ride across town along the canal path way more than the actual event. The problems start when you head out of town to the South and hit the motorway link roads that feed the M42 and the M5. Some of the roundabouts are so big that the traffic is doing 40mph round them, and many of the roads are dual carriageways. Guess I'm just lucky living on the South side of Gloucester. Here I can ride straight out from my estate into quiet country lanes.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think if you avoid larger towns and the roads that connect them then you'll be fine. The TdF coverage was a good example. I often ride the Strines Ihich were rammed with people. But if you rode it today (it's about 8 miles) I bet you'd be lucky to come across more than 10 cars. I could easily plan a 30 mile route on the local back roads where I would struggle to see more than a dozen cars

Hyslop

Veteran
One of his family plays the same trick on Caldbeck Common.Then his mates join in,then the tourists stop to take photos and coo over the sheepies.Result=Traffic Jam!As far as quiet roads are concerned,North Cumberland is superb,particularly towards Scotland and the Northumberland border,Im telling you this because only we two are interested,right?

Over here in rural East Yorkshire it can be very quiet on some roads. On my commute I can sometimes do the first/last 10 miles or so without seeing a car, but my shifts probably help with that ^_^ Not telling you the quiet roads though, they are mine :laugh:

Think I could make a good guess..

Top Bottom