England : Cheshire are there any small CC groups riding around Knutsford ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simmer

After pondering which forum to post this... I decided to have a brew. Feel free to move it somewhere more suitable :smile:

Are there any small groups (or individuals) cycling out of Knutsford on weekends who I could tag along with, or would anyone be interested in doing a few hours early'ish Sunday mornings ? (8am)

I started cycling back in April with 1 or 2 short rides a week and am now out most nights. I want to start doing longer loops at weekends as my existing ones (10k to 20k) have become my evening stretches.although the Shakely Mere loop is still a firm favourite.

For the next few months (until it gets icey or constant gales) I'd like to be doing 20/25 mile runs at an average of about 15mph. I do a 18mile loop now at 15mph, Knutsford to alderley bypass, Wilmslow (2min rest and water) and back through mobberley.. which is actually a really nice ride but it is pretty flat.

there is also a bigger loop I want to have a stab at which uses the above route but from Wilmslow you head past the airport tunnels then through ashley and tatton.. I drove this the other day returning from handforth and not sure how my legs would cope with that last climb going from ashley tatton at the moment...:eek:

I had thought about local clubs, but they all seem pretty serious and the ride calendars very tough. The only one actually based in Knutsford now is the Triathlon club. There is a cycling club at work which goes out on Thursday nights from Alderley but they have finished for the season . (and seem to like playing on the big hills..maybe by spring I'll be ready to try those).

If there is any interest I'll start a new thread in the CC Rides for route ideas and use the Events page (if this is the right thing to do). If there is anyone else local and at a similar stage in their cycling who would like to try and go a bit further, please shout out. when I said I would "like" to average 15mph that doesn't mean I will.

My first suggestion would be to plan where we get tea and cake :smile:

cheers
Si

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I ride through Knutsford fairly regularly normaly through Tatton or around the edge of it. There are fair few CCers who do.
Keep at the training rides and you will soon find you are going further and faster pretty quickly. There are sometimes forum rides in the area normally heading out from Stockport Station across the Cheshire plain at a fairly leisurely pace with a cafe stop, although there haven't been any for a while.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We usually do a couple of Forum rides each year but I've been out of action for any long rides so haven't organised any. Hopefully all will be resumed by Spring.

G3CWI

Veteran
After pondering which forum to post this... I decided to have a brew. Feel free to move it somewhere more suitable :smile:

Are there any small groups (or individuals) cycling out of Knutsford on weekends who I could tag along with, or would anyone be interested in doing a few hours early'ish Sunday mornings ? (8am)

I ride with a mate starting at Marton Primary School at 8am most Sunday mornings. Is that too far to be convenient?

OP
OP
Simmer

Simmer

I ride with a mate starting at Marton Primary School at 8am most Sunday mornings. Is that too far to be convenient?

Too far for the easy "get up and go" unfortunately but I'd love to drive over one sunday for a ride . (would be a really early start to cycle to Marton and a 23 mile round trip)
Cheers

Last edited:

Sinkrate

Regular
Anyone getting together for a ride then? I can do a few days next week and probably next weekend. I usually ride out Prestbury way from Wilmslow.

Mickthemove

Über Member
I and a mate do between 40 and 80 miles most Saturdays from the greyhound at Ashley at 8.30 at a calm pace, usually with a hill involved somewhere towards macc! Always have a cake or such and would be unlikely to leave anyone behind due to my size! If you fancied dropping in for even part of it, let us know (av speed flat 16-18 or with big hill in the middle 12-13)

Mickthemove

Über Member
One note on your rides, we rarely go up the Tatton mile as lone riders! It is a death trap with people reading texts at speeds up to 90 as it's such a straight mile, at the start of it turn right into dirty lane and next left and go through rostherne village up to the swan and down mereside road and back into knutsford, adds a mile or two but is way safer! Lived on the Tatton mile and saw three people killed in my last year there!

BJH

Über Member
Good advice on that road, it's bad. Once had a motorbike go past well into 3 figures an almost shoved me into the hedgerow with the blast of air.
Should also watch the lane you mention through Rostherne as the police direct traffics into Tattonnthat that way when events are on which can be fun.

OP
OP
Simmer

Simmer

Thanks for the advice Mick, I honestly didn't realize that stretch was so bad being from the other side of town. (all my loops are based around peover, plumley, alderley etc)

Most Saturday mornings I'm on Dads Taxi duty, would definitely like to tag along for a section of your ride one weekend though. Do you head to Macc using Bonis hall lane or prestbury road ?

I've been looking at a loop to Macc using Chelford road and coming back via Wilmslow, Bonis Hall seems scary during rush hour , not sure about the rest of the time ?

Cheers
Si

OP
OP
Simmer

Simmer

Hi Sinkrate, my ride tomorrow is based around a visit by the boiler engineer... sometime between 8 am and 1pm. So not the best day for making plans :smile:

Nothing doing next sunday morning though, I'll ride to Wilmslow and meet you for a jaunt over Prestbury way if you are about ?

cheers
Si

Nick Stone

I pass Tatton and Ashley on a few of my routes through to Lymm and Dunham back home.

I did a ride earlier in year the 60miler Manchester -Chester which went all round there on some nice roads, think route is on bike toaster or what ever it's called.

If you did plan a ride around there I may be allowed out to play. Avg speed abut 15-16mph, crawl up the big hills, but am getting better

Top Bottom