Are these times any good for a beginner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
As others have said the first ride outdoors after training indoors can be quite a shock, I have posted a couple of tables below off a web page that I trust, it is one of mine. :smile:

These are general purpose numbers for a 60 year old who weighs 70kg riding a 10kg bike and are of course debatable up to a point.

Those figures I assume don't include wind + hills!

I did a FTP run today, 20 minutes of smashing it, just under 300watts average, but thanks to been on my 17kg hybrid, some hills to go up, average speed was sub 15mph!! I now know why people ride with power meters, they make you feel better when you end up with a slow average speed :laugh:

51057603903_883edb81ed_h_d.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I did a FTP run today, 20 minutes of smashing it, just under 300watts average, but thanks to been on my 17kg hybrid, some hills to go up, average speed was sub 15mph!! I now know why people ride with power meters, they make you feel better when you end up with a slow average speed :laugh:

View attachment 579651

Something not quite right there. Riding at 292 Watts would see you well over 20 mph. Even 200 watts would bring you up to 18-20 mph. 345ft over 5 miles is rolling rather than hilly.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Lots of good comments on here. However, apart from the distance, 'Can I do 42.7km in an hour?' is thinking like a runner. Nothing wrong with that, but as you convert from running to cycling, or add cycling to your repertoire, it is a good idea to get in with the bikey brainset. An hour is a magic timespan for cyclists but the fundamental question is 'How far can I go in an hour?' The question of 'Can I do a particular distance in an hour?' revolves around some set-piece timetrial distances where beating the hour is a milestone acheivement but, as will become apparant when you try it, doing a certain distance in an hour takes a completely different mindset from riding for an hour in order to cover the greatest distance possible. Some heroes to emulate:

Fausto Coppi 1942

Roger Rivière, 1957

Eddy Merckx 1972

Graeme Obree 1993

Chris Boardman 1996

…on your bike, and pedal. Have fun.

Good morning,
That is correct they were assuming a level road and zero wind speed.

I never created numbers for a gradient as this was well outside the scope of the page. :smile:

The wind resistance table for riding at 12mph and 18mph with a full frontal head wind are below

The whole page is at http://www.iansmithcse.co.uk/WLC/Article_Exercise.aspx

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
The weight won’t make that much difference on a gently rolling route like he’s posted.

Having ridden that route loads of times on my road bike I have to politely 100% disagree.....on the flat bits it was OK, but on any gradient the extra 10kg compared to the road bike really makes it self felt, not to mention a frameset that flexes if you just look at it the wrong way.

300watts+ to go under 10mph on a sub 5% average incline.....who says you cannot get fit ridding an eBike (with the motor off) :laugh:.

51058005613_3f033b1382_c_d.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Having ridden that route loads of times on my road bike I have to politely 100% disagree.....on the flat bits it was OK, but on any gradient the extra 10kg compared to the road bike really makes it self felt, not to mention a frameset that flexes if you just look at it the wrong way.

300watts+ to go under 10mph on a sub 5% average incline.....who says you cannot get fit ridding an eBike (with the motor off) :laugh:.

View attachment 579679

The power numbers are wrong. There is no way you put out 294w and only hit 17 mph on a for all intents flat road. Something definitely not right. You should hit that speed with about 170-180 watts of power through the cranks, given weight of bike, assuming you weigh about 80kg, and sat upright.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
The power numbers are wrong. There is no way you put out 294w and only hit 17 mph on a for all intents flat road. Something definitely not right.

Why?? Have you seen the chart above. Science says to go at 18mph on a hybrid into a mild 6mph head wind needs 320watts of power. My figures from the ride today wasn't that far off, the headwind was about 5mph.

51058847842_ae901617d0_h_d.jpg

Top Bottom