Are these times any good for a beginner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Just googled Cycling time trials and it says ...

Entering Events

Whatever type of time trial you are entering, club or open, you must be a member of a club that is affiliated to Cycling Time Trials. Being a BCF or CTC member does not generally qualify you to ride time trials unless your BCF Division or CTC District Association is affiliated to CTT.

However, if you were to turn up at one of evening 10's, you can join our club on the night and we have a policy of "first year is free".
I'm sure other clubs would have similar arrangements - they are unlikely to turn away a prospective new member.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yes I wasn't quite sure on this.... but as you say very unlikely to not be given a start and if a rider has ctc/bcf cover and affiliation in place then should be ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

philthecat

TBH I don't really understand the numbers you've posted.

I have many friends who achieve an average of 42km/hour regularly on Zwift. They are all very experienced and very good cyclists on the real roads. I doubt anyone with a year's experience would hit this level.
I haven’t got a years experience. I started in January 21. Also what are you not understanding from the numbers?

As has been said - it's not the same indoor as outdoor.

Looks like you have a starting point though and good luck on getting to your target. I think you stand more chance inside rather than out.

I love indoor training but the best bit is being fit for the outdoor rides.

OP
OP
P

philthecat

As has been said - it's not the same indoor as outdoor.

Looks like you have a starting point though and good luck on getting to your target. I think you stand more chance inside rather than out.

Thanks. This is the plan. Get fit first on the indoor bike then get in the roads and see where they take me. 👍👍

gzoom

Über Member
I have set myself a target to cycle a marathon (42.17km) in under an hour.

26mph for an hour in the real world is getting on professional levels of fitness.

My best real world speed to cover 26 miles is 18mph, that puts me in roughly speaking top 1/3 of most Strava segments for the ride.

Friends who are fitter can hit 21-22mph over the same distances, their Strava segments are often in the top 10 for the ride.

I can just about hold 22-23mph on the flat with no head wind, but real world hills quickly brings down my average speed :sad:.

Lovacott

Über Member
The very fact that I despise all forms of exercise is exactly why I ride a bike to work.

Press ups, crunches and all that other Joe Wicks bollox is simply a pain when there is stuff on the telly you could be watching.

Grunting a bike up a hill to accomplish a real life daily task is also a pain but it has an end product. I get to work, I get paid and my family gets to eat for another week.

I'm not knocking those who indoor train though. I acknowledge that it takes a lot more self-discipline to do something voluntarily every day (as opposed to commuting to work because you have to).

Lovacott

Über Member
26mph for an hour in the real world is getting on professional levels of fitness.
I did a 16mph hour this morning and the conditions were perfect. My top speed was 36mph (downhill) and I was doing 25mph on the flat stretches when I went full tilt at the pedals. There were a few hills on the route which dropped the average speed and I had quite a few coasting sections to rest my legs for a bit.

Maybe on a flat circuit I could have maintained 25mph for a minute or so, but each burst would have been followed by a bit of time off the pedals to give my blood flow a chance to catch up. I reckon I would average out at 20mph.

I am pretty fit (I do 20 miles per day of cycle commuting). I doubt I could manage a 25mph average speed though?

The only way for the OP to fully ascertain the real numbers is to get out on a real bike on real roads.

Last edited:
Good morning,
Thanks. This is the plan. Get fit first on the indoor bike then get in the roads and see where they take me. 👍👍
As others have said the first ride outdoors after training indoors can be quite a shock, I have posted a couple of tables below off a web page that I trust, it is one of mine. :smile:

These are general purpose numbers for a 60 year old who weighs 70kg riding a 10kg bike and are of course debatable up to a point.

If you go for a ride on the road and get a feel for where you current fitness levels put you speed wise, these tables might encourage or depress you in terms of how much little or more you need to train.:smile:

Bye

Ian

Lovacott

Über Member
Good morning,

As others have said the first ride outdoors after training indoors can be quite a shock, I have posted a couple of tables below off a web page that I trust, it is one of mine. :smile:

Interesting and true.

A road bike eats up the miles using far much less energy than a Hybrid or MTB.

What has surprised me recently, is how much more effort and energy is needed to propel an MTB or hybrid for the same distance as a half decent road bike.

Pretty staggering really.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As said above you have to be really getting fit to knock out 20 miles in an hour , the fastest i ever did was 24 miles at that average and i was on the rivet all the time .
Good riders can obviously do faster and when you move into time trial bikes that a whole new ball game , Philipo Ganna did a 13 km TT this year at an average of just under 40 mph but its a short distance on a pan flat course

Top Bottom