Are they any wholly moderated internet forums out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two of us got banned/evicted eventually
Which was no great loss
Forgot to add, members who PM’d us/spoke in our favour were also placed under scrutiny

l never met the chap who owned/.ran the site, but was told he was one of the most joyless individuals you could meet
If anyone remembers the Priest in ‘Father Ted’, who talked incessantly about fridges/washing machines/BTUs/anything boring
The Land Rover guy would make him walk away

I used to be on a Land Rover forum, where diverting from the topic being originally discussed was frowned upon, & quite often moderated removed
Eg; someone might ask about a certain tyre choice, or a route from A - B

A member would offer an option of a different brand, or a route via 'C', that was more scenic/quieter
Even such things were almost forbidden

Ironic that a forum dedicated to going off road in a car should frown on going off road in discussions.

Gunk

Guru
Be more interesting to find a fully unmoderated one, I used to frequent a Motorcycle forum years ago and there was a 'backroom' area where absolutely anything went.

If you didn't like the topics or replies on there you didn't go in, simple.

I used to contribute to a Triumph Motorcycle forum years ago where there was virtually no moderation and it was all pretty civilised

I use a few forums that are very lightly moderated for some topics, and they generally work really well for informative discussions, as some people have found that they can silence uncomfortable opinions on the more moderated ones, no matter how demonstrably factual, by claiming to be offended.

It leaves that sort of person worse off, as they end up in a small bubble of like minded people, and never really get to fully explore topics, and get shocked when they suddenly realise that their views are pretty much a minority. Those people are rarely worth engaging with for long.

Having said that, I think the mods on here do a difficult task very well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom