Are they really world record-holders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just watched a fantastic CGN video on YouTube about cycling round north Scotland with Mark Beaumont the round the world record holder. At the end they bump into a woman who holds the same record.

Are these people the world record holders or just the British record holders? How can we be sure that a German or Japanese or American cyclist hasn't done it faster? They may have just not had any publicity.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Verification is key. There are a whole raft of regulations that Guinness specify (minimum distance, direction of travel....). If you want 'the record', then surely you'd want it officially?

jay clock

Massive member
Just watched a fantastic CGN video on YouTube about cycling round north Scotland with Mark Beaumont the round the world record holder. At the end they bump into a woman who holds the same record.

Are these people the world record holders or just the British record holders? How can we be sure that a German or Japanese or American cyclist hasn't done it faster? They may have just not had any publicity.
It's about the public accepting the legitimacy of the body who validate the attempt. King Jong Il had 11 holes in one in a round of golf, but I suspect most of the world would prefer the Guinness version of the record

For the current records Guinness have Beaumont as the record for male circumnavigation http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-circumnavigation-by-bicycle-(male)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why would anyone want to cycle round the world in the fkt??

Seems like a massive expenditure of time, effort, and money, to miss out on so much.

I wouldn't mind being sponsored to cycle round the world as slooowly as possible though :blush:

pawl

Legendary Member

lane

Veteran
I was going to say you are either the record holder or not. However there are at least two different bodies for verifying cycling records. A lady in the UK has the record for longest distance in a year at 100 miles a day with GBR but the record with another body - not sure what it is called - adventure cycling association or something like that - is over 220 miles a day by a lady in the US. Btw I am not intending to belittle the achievement of the 100 mile a day lady when I can just about manage that in one day but definately not even for two days running. let alone 365. Whatever the status of these records or who awards them they are all bloody good achievements.

yello

I think I'm on that same wave length as @YukonBoy .

To 'hold' a record, to have it verified, you have to meet some sometimes seemingly arbitrary requirements/regulations - otherwise its not a record. Or the regs change (as in trousers on marathon nurses)

Either way, the record stands only if the body drawing up those regs says so, be that body Guinness or whoever.

If you think about it, it kinda highlights how farcical it is really. It's cool that people feel motivated to do stuff, use records as incentives (and let's not forget that it is invariably an achievement and deserves some recognition) but the fact it is a record is highly contextualised. Respect the achievement for what is is.

T4tomo

Guru
I was going to say you are either the record holder or not. However there are at least two different bodies for verifying cycling records. A lady in the UK has the record for longest distance in a year at 100 miles a day with GBR but the record with another body - not sure what it is called - adventure cycling association or something like that - is over 220 miles a day by a lady in the US. Btw I am not intending to belittle the achievement of the 100 mile a day lady when I can just about manage that in one day but definately not even for two days running. let alone 365. Whatever the status of these records or who awards them they are all bloody good achievements.

It’s quite ironic the US record is verified by adventure cycling when the majority of miles we’re set going the same loop in a park.

Btw I’m wall aware of the ladies back story and why most of it was done off public highways.

Kajsa at least visited a few different countries and ate a lot of scones!

Respect the achievement for what is is
Absolutely: If you look at Jenny Graham's record, around the world unsupported, sure she holds the womens record but arguably she's done the second or third fastest ever time. It was an astonishing ride bettered by only a few be they men or women.

Top Bottom