Are they really world record-holders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be fair I your post #35 that I was responding to is all about the TCR and nothing else.
To be fair, I thought @steveindenmark meant he understood the idea in general and just using the TCR as an instance.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
If anyone's interested in grabbing the glory that goes with being a world record-breaking cyclist, I'm aware of a couple of arguably credible records which would definitely be within the capability of some folks here.

Firstly, the rickshaw distance record, the subject of this thread early last year. This is an odd one; there doesn't seem to be a time limit, making it less about athleticism and more about having sufficient time and deep enough pockets. But it looks like something any experienced cyclist could realistically plan for.

Secondly, there's the World UltraCycling Association (WUCA, formerly UMCA) Highest Monthly Mileage Record for the 60-69 age division. This was set in late 2016 at 4007.5 miles (133.6 mpd) by a very ordinary-sounding guy called Alan Johnson. Chapeau!

But in 1952 René Menzies, one of the heroes of the Tommy Godwin era, recorded 62785 miles, an average of 5232 miles per month. There's more detailed information on the Veteran-Cycle Club Online Library, which amongst other things lists his monthly totals. The highest was 5850 in November, an average of 195 mpd.

Interestingly, I'd read about him breaking a collarbone during one of his exploits, but I hadn't previously connected that with the 1952 campaign. It seems he lost 24 days during January and February of that year, but eventually was "allowed" to finish his year on January 23rd 1953. Who'd've thought it?

So we have a totally credible account of a guy aged well over 60 riding 195 mpd over a 30-day period. Returning (almost) to the question at the top of the thread, is 133 mpd really a world record?

But WUCA have recognised it, and last time I looked they were seen as the authority on these matters, so on the face of it it's there for the taking.

Frankly I cannot see the point of these records, the particpants seem to enjoy inflicting pain and inconvenience on themselves just to say " I am Better than you". Ask them about the scenery and interaction with the local people, most cannot remember much about it unless they had had big problems then when the book is written it becomes the highlight of the trip.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is there an existing tandem record for men?
See this thread. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-tandem-men-world-circumnavigation.202773/

I think they have the Guinness record

Top Bottom