JOGLE Rickshaw Guinness world record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jmassey

Regular
Hi I’m new to this site and new to bike touring. And a novice to biking, I’m 24 and I would say I’m quite fit and active

I’m hoping for some advice and guidance :smile:

I’m planning on doing JOGLE in April to raise money for a local charity, to add a bit of a twist to it Iv decided to do it on a rickshaw and attempt to beat the current rickshaw world record of 1600 miles.

Iv already brought the rickshaw and it’s jusy some Chinese thing with 6 speed gears

Iv started training on a road bike and mountain bike depending on what route I’m taking

One thing I have started to get is pain in the front of my knees, I went from not sitting on a bike for over 12 months to riding everyday and doing 5-6 hour bike rides at the weekend so I hope it’s just because of overtraining, I’m going rest my knees for a couple of weeks and see if that helps and ease my way back into biking, I’m just wondering if this knee pain is normal and any advice on it would be great.

I haven’t rode the rickshaw on the road yet but I’m quite concerned on the width on the country lanes, if I car comes flying around the corner and doesn’t see me etc, so I was hoping for some advice on what route to take and what roads to avoid etc

I know I’m asking a lot but the closer the ride gets more it’s sinking in how out of my depth I am haha

Thanks for reading and hopefully get some good advice

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @jmassey

This sounds a fascinating project and I shall be watching with interest.

The knee pain might be overtraining or could also be caused by saddle setup (my first thought from the description is a bit too low and/or too far forward). There is lots of good advice on set up on the site so I'd suggest trying the search function and come back to us with questions once you've had a browse. For what it's worth, this is what I've said about it in the past which gives a basic starter set up: link

As you might guess from my username I have an interest in rickshaws. I'd like to know more about the one you've got. I suspect you might find it tough going with just 6 gears on.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Hi Phil, perfect name for this thread haha.

Right ok I’ll take my bikes to a shop and get a proper fitting maybe that will help, also I wasn’t stretching after my rides which I now understand is really niave of me, so Iv gone and brought a foam roller and going to try that see if it makes a difference.

Do you use your rickshaw on the road (if you have a rickshaw, I’m guessing you do) if so do you feel safe when riding it?

I’ll pop down the shed later and see what make it is, it’s only got 20 inch wheels it’s more of a tricycle/rickshaw to be honest. I paid £420 and it’s pretty much brand new, there were some really good ones out there but £1000+ which was out of my price range

Thanks for your reply by the way :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sadly I don't have the rickshaw any more. It was a business idea that got a lot of very positive feedback but didn't work out financially unfortunately. Here's a pic:
HPIM0543a.jpg

I did use it on the road and found that I got treated pretty well on the whole. It's large and unusual enough that motorists take notice so you get treated with a little more respect than on an ordinary cycle. I didn't generally take it down the lanes though (apart from one event booking) so I can't really say how people would react if they came up behind you somewhere narrow.

Something that should help shift perception in your favour is that the back of a rickshaw is a fantastic billboard. A large sign saying what you were doing would help promote your cause.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
That’s pretty reassuring then, I’ll have to get out on it soon to get some practice on the road

Yeah that’s a good idea actually with the advertising of the back of the rickshaw

I thought tricycles/rickshaws were quite rare but by the looks of it they are more popular than I thought

Just need plan a route and get a kit list etc now

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You may have already seen it but there is a LEJOG section on here if you want route advice.

Let us know how you get on with the road test. Be careful of the width and the turning circle of the machine when you take it out the first time . I accidentally stuffed Cycles Maximus's prototype van into a hedge on my first try because I misjudged that.:shy:

I've done umpteen thousand miles on a recumbent trike with a large carry freedom trailer behind it. So I know what it like with something almost 1 meter wide on the road. It's better than a bike .... ^_^
As you're wider and nice hard metallic edges, most cars give you more room.
Also because you're so different, drivers are willing to wait more before overtaking.
The most dangerous places are uphill blind bends, simply due to the speed difference.
After that it's dual carriageways because drivers don't expect something to go slow on them.
Apart from that, most roads are fair game as long as you treat the rickshaw as a vehicle not a bike.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
That comment is very reassuring for me, being panicking almost on the thought of being on country lanes on my rickshaw and some crazy driver ploughing in the back of me.
When you say riding like a vehicle do you not keep to the left, and use the whole lane?
I love the idea of a recumbent as well, I’ll definitely have to try one soon :smile:
Thanks for the reply

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You mention your rickshaw is 'more like a trike'.

Have you checked with Guinness that what you have satisfies their definition of a rickshaw?

What you plan to do will be a good achievement, but it would be a pity to be denied the record on a technicality.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Hi yes, my application has been accepted and after reading through the 33 page document, there are endless rules and regulations. But the only thing is mentions is that it needs to be able to carry two adults from behind the rider and it can’t be modified. But yeah it would be an absolute nightmare if I did complete it and it wasn’t accepted :tongue:

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Hi, yes I think it’s roughly 900 miles? But to beat the current Guinness world record I need do ride over 1600 miles and between 2 points (you can’t ride back on yourself for some reason is voids to the attempt) so I thought JOGLE would be a good 2 points. But Iv somehow got to stretch it out 1600 miles.

I really need get planning and getting used to riding the rickshaw to be honest

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi, yes I think it’s roughly 900 miles? But to beat the current Guinness world record I need do ride over 1600 miles and between 2 points (you can’t ride back on yourself for some reason is voids to the attempt) so I thought JOGLE would be a good 2 points. But Iv somehow got to stretch it out 1600 miles.

I really need get planning and getting used to riding the rickshaw to be honest

Apart from the ride itself, that's a big routing challenge.

Most JOGLEs use the west side of the country, but I wonder if you would be better off comng down the east side and zig-zagging where it's flatter.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Yeah that’s something I’m going have to look Into, I’v been looking at the Sustrans routes trying to plan a vague route.

I’m not sure what roads to avoid with a rickshaw though as it’s quite wide.

Also some Sustrans routes are non traffic routes, which I’m guessing are canals and paths, I’m not sure if there will be barriers on them where I wouldn’t be able get my rickshaw over, I don’t want to cycle down them and have to turn back as my mileage won’t count :sad:

Top Bottom