JOGLE Rickshaw Guinness world record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Having 1600 miles to play with gives you an awful lot of scope. By way of illustration, not necessarily a credible suggestion, I've knocked together a route that takes you from London to Edinburgh via Land's End, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast and John o'Groats:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26767472

This comes to 1680 miles - the planner says 1800 but that includes the bits where you're at sea!

This sort of thing would be OK if the only stipulation on the route is that you can't use the same road twice, which is what you seem to imply. If the route needs to conform to some concept of straightness, it won't work so well, but nor would anything in these islands.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
That’s a fair old zig zag and not even 1600 miles :/

Yes minimum of 2 gps trackers are needed encase one breaks. I have none at the minute so need look into them as well.

Yeah something that I could follow a route on would be ideal

Actually I suppose I could do jogle and then head back home (Stoke) and make sure I use different road on the way back up so my distance is still counted

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
I’ll have a look at that route now Aravis, thanks.

Yes it doesn’t have to be in a straight line, you just can’t use the same road twice, well you can but the distance won’t count on the second time on the same road

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Jayclock, just checked that map route out, love how it says rickshaw. That would be cool to have something like that along the way

I’m just concerned on not routing properly and ending up on a mega busy A road traffic or something.
As long as it's not a dual carriageway then mega busy A road isn't bad. They are mentally tiring due to the constant road noise. But if the traffic's heavy enough then you'll soon get traffic stuck behind you which cannot overtake you unless you let it. Once that happens you're safe from being run down from behind ...... ^_^ You just have to pull in every so often to let traffic passed.
It's the more empty A roads where you lose the blocking traffic that's more dangerous.
Remember also so that you'll be on three wheels so you cannot wobble. This makes a difference with HGV's because there won't be the same risk of be pulled sideways like on a bike. I'm also low enough so that most of the air blast from one goes over my head, but you may not be.
It's completely different riding a trike vs riding a bike as to how you interact with traffic and how traffic treats you.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yes it doesn’t have to be in a straight line, you just can’t use the same road twice, well you can but the distance won’t count on the second time on the same road
That's very interesting. As you may be aware, there have been a number of ultra-long distance record attempts in recent years which several of us here have followed closely. Search for names like Abraham, Tylen, Searvogel, Coker, and you'll soon get the idea. With what they were/are doing, repetitions of the same sections of road has been an essential part of the strategy, in some cases to an almost staggering degree. So what you're describing takes a bit of getting used to.

I suppose that with a rickshaw, essentially a human-powered taxi, riding endlessly around the same circuit would be a complete denial of what the machine exists for, so perhaps it makes sense to frame the record around covering as much different ground as possible.

By the way, @Dogtrousers was being deadly serious when alluding to potential problems with Guinness. There will be plenty of advice readily available if you seek it out. Good luck!

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
That's very interesting. As you may be aware, there have been a number of ultra-long distance record attempts in recent years which several of us here have followed closely. Search for names like Abraham, Tylen, Searvogel, Coker, and you'll soon get the idea. With what they were/are doing, repetitions of the same sections of road has been an essential part of the strategy, in some cases to an almost staggering degree. So what you're describing takes a bit of getting used to.

I suppose that with a rickshaw, essentially a human-powered taxi, riding endlessly around the same circuit would be a complete denial of what the machine exists for, so perhaps it makes sense to frame the record around covering as much different ground as possible.

By the way, @Dogtrousers was being deadly serious when alluding to potential problems with Guinness. There will be plenty of advice readily available if you seek it out. Good luck!

This is a small section from my Guinness application, I might of miss understood but maybe you guys might know more

Rules for 'longest journey' records
Please make sure you follow ALL these rules:

a. This record is measured in kilometres to the nearest 0.001 km, with the equivalent imperial measurement also given in miles.
b. Note that no distinction will be made between supported and unsupported journeys.
c. The journey must be tracked using accurate professional equipment e.g. a GPS tracking unit. A printout of the tracking data must be submitted.
d. Any route may be followed, but in keeping with the spirit of this record, the journey should follow a route between two pre-defined points and should not, for instance, repeatedly cover the same ground or consist of an accumulation of shorter journeys made during the course of everyday life.
e. The journey must be continuous, with each leg of the journey beginning at the point at which the previous leg ended. Public transport (scheduled air, sea, or rail services) may only be used between continents or over water. Details of these journeys must be included with the record claim and the distances covered by this means do not count towards the record total.
f. Breaks and stops may be made whenever desired. However, as a general rule, the participant must not remain stationary (i.e. if he/she does not make any progress towards his/her destination) for longer than 14 days. Any delays longer than this must have a very good reason (e.g. injury) and must be accounted for to Guinness World Records. Note that delays that cannot be reasonably justified may result in disqualification.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular

Some more information if you can be bothered to read it haha :tongue:

Record definition
  • This is for the longest journey made by cycle powered rickshaw.
  • This record is to be attempted by an male individual.
  • This record is measured in kilometres to the nearest 0.001 km, with the equivalent imperial measurement also given in miles.
  • A cycle rickshaw/pedicab is a three-wheeled pedal-powered vehicle, with a single driver/pedaller and which is capable of carrying at least two passengers on a bench behind or infront of the driver.
Rules for Longest journey by cycle rickshaw/pedicab (male)
  1. This is for the longest journey made by cycle powered rickshaw.
  2. It is up to the challenger to choose a commercially available, non-modified cycle powered rickshaw most suited to setting this record. No distinctions will be made between various types and models of cycle powered rickshaw.
  3. The same cycle powered rickshaw must be used throughout the entire attempt. Repairs, such as tire replacement, chain replacement, etc. can be made, but the frame must remain the same. If the cycle powered rickshaw is damaged beyond repair, video and photo evidence and an explanation of what happened must be submitted. It is at the discretion of Guinness World Records to decide if the reason is accepted and if it is not accepted, the claim will be rejected. Full details of the vehicle must be submitted with the record claim.
  4. When travelling to a location overseas, the cycle powered rickshaw can be shipped by sea or air to the destination where the attempt is to begin.
  5. The journey should be continuous, that is each stage beginning at the point that the previous stage ended. Rest breaks, overnight stops, etc. may be taken at will but they will be included in the final total of hours taken to complete the challenge. Such breaks should be recorded in the log book which should be maintained throughout the attempt (see below).
  6. GPS tracking data must include dates, times, route/track information and distance covered each day. When creating .kml files from a GPS tracking device, please ensure that all of these details are exported. .kml files lacking waypoint timestamps, or evidence of actual distance covered, will not be accepted.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

I can see the logic of the way the rules have been laid out. If you were allowed to cover the same ground as part of the record attempt then any of the commercial rickshaw riders in London, for example, could claim it as they'll rack up some big miles over a year but it wouldn't be a challenge in the same way as this is.

It is up to the challenger to choose a commercially available, non-modified cycle powered rickshaw most suited to setting this record. No distinctions will be made between various types and models of cycle powered rickshaw.
This rule may/will be the killer.
I very much doubt that you'll be able to get up the hills in Devon and Cornwall on an unmodified rickshaw because either the gears won't go low enough to pedal up +15% and/or it will be to heavy to push.
You'll need to get out and find a steep hill and just see if you can get up it.

Edit:- You'll probably be better looking at european river valleys and how you can link them together rather than LEJOG.

Luck ........ ^_^

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
This rule may/will be the killer.
I very much doubt that you'll be able to get up the hills in Devon and Cornwall on an unmodified rickshaw because either the gears won't go low enough to pedal up +15% and/or it will be to heavy to push.
You'll need to get out and find a steep hill and just see if you can get up it.

Luck ........ ^_^
I was thinking that too. Mine had some good low gears but it was still quite an effort if the hills were really steep. I recall one event in Ludlow where the organisers had it in mind for me to run between the town square and a small display of electric bikes down by the river. I could only just get the machine back up the hill on its own let alone with a passenger aboard.:heat:

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Hmmmmm maybe something to look into then, yes I can see why these rules are in place,

I’m quite interested in riding the Danube river in Europe but unsure if it’s suitable for a wide rickshaw? Or if there are barriers in place etc

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hmmmmm maybe something to look into then, yes I can see why these rules are in place,

I’m quite interested in riding the Danube river in Europe but unsure if it’s suitable for a wide rickshaw? Or if there are barriers in place etc
That may be a good option. They take cycle routes a lot more seriously on the continent than we do in the UK and machines such as velomobiles are more common so are catered for in a way they aren't here.

I'm fairly sure that some of our members have ridden that part of the world so hopefully will be able to advise.

Been there, done that on my bent trike-trailer rig ......... ^_^

Like most things, it will depend on exactly how wide you rickshaw is.
Most of the cycle paths gates/barriers on the continent are built for the basic wheelchair size of just under 1 meter. The North Sea Cycle route has a load of sheep gates which I only just got through. While the Rhine-Danube only the odd barrier and it's only the very odd one of those I cannot get my ICE Sprint through unlike the UK.
The actual long distance paths tend to be wider than 2 meters, but some local cycle paths can be around 1 meter. The Rhine-Main-Danube and the Elbe is probably doable. The Rhine-Rhone canal may not have a wide enough path in places. And just forget about the canal-du-midi as that's only a rough singletrack path.

Luck ....... ^_^

Top Bottom