JOGLE Rickshaw Guinness world record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would try to avoid Sustrans routes like the plague. They are bad enough for normal bikes let alone a Trike.
2nd that, some of the 'barriers' are dreadful.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Haha right ok, this is the reason I started this thread because im a complete novice at all this, jumped in at the deep end really but can’t wait for the adventure.

Do any of you know if there are any threads for people who have done long distance rides on trikes or wide bikes? Iv had a quick look but can’t see any

How wide is your rickshaw ??
If it's much over 800mm then it won't go through most anti-cycling barriers.

How low are the gears and how are they setup ??
If you've only 8 gears then I would plan to top out at around 75"and go down from there.
This will let you hit around 20 mph down a slight hill but more importantly it will give you low gears to climb hills.
Expect to hit short steep +15% in Devon and Cornwall.
The hills in Scotland tend to be longer but not a steep.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Not sure on the width I would have to check, it’s definitely over 800mm though. I’ll be leaving the Sustrans routes then by the looks of it.

Yeah I’ll have a look at the route the rickshaw challenge for children took. I think they had car behind them at all times slowing the traffic down.

I’m just concerned on not routing properly and ending up on a mega busy A road traffic or something.

Suppose I’ll have to just get it on the road and get a feel for it

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to stick something like this on the back,

?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG4K-uwLkBa4oeDvd82RQQ5Ho76hWF8i8hWSmGzluQK_ee13cDHdYZ1nHcTeCfgod3Q1HB-uB9&usqp=CAc.jpg

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Yeah I’ll have to get a few lights and a flag pole maybe.

Iv got a reflective jacket and normal bike lights

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to stick something like this on the back,

View attachment 393055

Good idea, and if it goes flat you could pinch a new one from the next roadworks you pass.

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Oh only 95kg, yeah why not hop aboard then, I think I’d needs more than words of encouragement, possibly a whip might help. Not in a kinky way haha.

I’ll have a look at that Audax when I get in from work, thanks for all the advice by the way I do appreciate it. I haven’t used forums for a few years and thought they were a thing of the past, so I’m glad people actually are using them and responding :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Lots more distance routes on the Audax website, but there is a danger you could drown in a sea of routing information.

My approach would be to have an overall outline then use a road atlas as you go along.

Presumably, looking at a map as you ride is easier on a rickshaw than it is on a bicycle.

Some distance riders cut the pages out of the atlas to make more manageable sheets.

http://www.aukweb.net/

jay clock

Massive member
Personally I am a big fan of using my Garmin with GPX to plan and follow routes. I am assuming the Guinness rules need at least a couple of Garmin traces anyway.

I just did a quick and dirty route to see if I could zig zag the whole way and even this frankly bonkers route is short of 1600 miles. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26767362 (route not focussed on cycle friendly routes)

Top Bottom