JOGLE Rickshaw Guinness world record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Right it seems my plans have changed then haha, I’ll look into Rhine and Danube.

What website/app is best for planning bike routes?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ride with GPS -the route I've linked to is a draft LEJOG visiting all 4 of UK's Cardinal Points.

Would be useful to hear what length the gears give you. 20" wheels time chainring teeth divided by High) smallest rear sprocket and by Low) largest rear sprocket (if your rickshaw has a set of sprockets/cogs at the rear). Otherwise discover by experiment how far the rickshaw goes on one turn of the pedals in the top and bottom gears and I/we can do the maths.
I don't think changing the chainring would count as 'modification' but others will judge/advise on that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Yeah the rules are very vague and not at all helpful

I like that route, just wondering if accessible by rickshaw though

I’ll send a message to kajsa Tylen and try get some advice on the rules and regs

Iv downloaded the ride with gps app just trying to figure out how to plan routes on it now :tongue:

OP
OP
jmassey

jmassey

Regular
Just trying figure out a route from Stoke on Trent to Newcastle upon Tyne ferry port. Once I’m in Amsterdam the route seems fairly straight forward, he says

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just trying figure out a route from Stoke on Trent to Newcastle upon Tyne ferry port. Once I’m in Amsterdam the route seems fairly straight forward, he says

I suspect you mean the ferry port at North Shields, which is 10 miles east of Newcastle on the coast.

Makes a difference to routing, because coming from the south there is no point in going to Newcastle.

The ferry at South Shields takes you across to the terminal, give or take a climb or two.

Working in reverse, that would be South Shields, Sunderland, Stockton on Tees, Yarm, Northallerton, Thirsk and into York.

On an upright, you would use some of NCN1, but there are lots of insurmountable for a rickshaw gates so you would need to stay on minor roads.

Not sure after York, and Google maps for cyclists isn't much help because it suggests you jump on the A1(M).

Why Newcastle as thats across the pennines from Stoke.
I'd go south of them and aim for Harwich as that flatter route.
Stoke-on-Trent -> Burton-on-Trent -> Northampton -> Cambridge -> Harwich -> Hook-of-Holland.
Plus that ferries cheaper ....... ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
I suspect you mean the ferry port at North Shields, which is 10 miles east of Newcastle on the coast.

Makes a difference to routing, because coming from the south there is no point in going to Newcastle.

The ferry at South Shields takes you across to the terminal, give or take a climb or two.

Working in reverse, that would be South Shields, Sunderland, Stockton on Tees, Yarm, Northallerton, Thirsk and into York.

On an upright, you would use some of NCN1, but there are lots of insurmountable for a rickshaw gates so you would need to stay on minor roads.

Not sure after York, and Google maps for cyclists isn't much help because it suggests you jump on the A1(M).
You might end up moving faster than some of the cars.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would use Wahoo and Ride with GPS. I would probably also ride it in Holland where it a lot flatter than the UK.

If you are doing it in the UK why not just do it in East Anglia where it is flatter? You really need to spend a lot of time planning ths route. 6 gears on a rickshaw would not be good on hills like in Devon and Cornwall.

What does "modified" mean? Is adding lights classed as modifying it.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What is the minimum distance you aim to cycle? Guinness normal,y require that the new distance is a minimum distance greater than the previous record.

Sharky

Guru
Being a "trike", you'll find steering a bit tricky at first and descending at speed on twisty roads needs a bit of skill and practice.
Good luck with your plans.

snorri

Legendary Member

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think the OP may be being unreasonably deterred from a UK route by some of the (very knowledgeable) rickshaw/tricycle experts above. There are some good routes which would not require any climbing more than (say) 7% and that only occasionally. For example from south Cambridgeshire to Glasgow via Spalding, Lincoln, Humber Bridge, York, Teesdale and Moffat. I have in mind the 100-630 section of LEL (more even than @Pale Rider has suggested - the climb up and over Yad Moss is long but I don't recall any steep bits.)
Some of the Edinburgh to London section of London-Edinburgh-London would get you down the east side of the country.
Perhaps it's time for the OP to see what sort of climbs he can reasonably get up with the current gearing (as part of a long day's ride) and then construct a route avoiding English main A roads accordingly - happy to help with the latter btw (if UK).
Rules for Longest journey by cycle rickshaw/pedicab (male)
  1. This is for the longest journey made by cycle powered rickshaw.
  2. It is up to the challenger to choose a commercially available, non-modified cycle powered rickshaw most suited to setting this record. No distinctions will be made between various types and models of cycle powered rickshaw.
I would be tempted to look at a 'protection for passengers from the wind' arrangement (not a modification) :whistle: which might significantly reduce your drag.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I’m planning on doing JOGLE in April
You have 75 days: how will you get you and the rickshaw to JoG? And how will you get back from LE? (answer ride most of the way there and ride most of the way back - would nicely give you 1600+ miles.
I haven’t rode the rickshaw on the road yet
Well stop faffing around 'planning' and spend a bit of time riding. Share the location of a hill that you climb that you think would be OK during a day's ride. What about the road from Milton to Werrington (past Baddesley Edge)? The climb at the beginning is 100m in 1.6km with a max gradient of 8%.
I’ll pop down the shed later and see what make it is, it’s only got 20 inch wheels it’s more of a tricycle/rickshaw to be honest. I paid £420 and it’s pretty much brand new
OK a week on, have you managed to 'pop down to the shed'? Seeing you've only just bought it, I'm a bit surprised you don't know what make/model it is?
I’ll have to get out on it soon to get some practice on the road
:bicycle:
Suppose I’ll have to just get it on the road and get a feel for it
:bicycle:
up to the challenger to choose a commercially available, non-modified cycle powered rickshaw most suited to setting this record.
Readers of this thread, would, I suspect, really like to see a picture of your rickshaw. [Edit: larger than the one inch square image in your atavar - VMT @Pale Rider ]

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Going back to the rules and regulations, I think this one may contain an important message which is being missed (my bolds):
d. Any route may be followed, but in keeping with the spirit of this record, the journey should follow a route between two pre-defined points and should not, for instance, repeatedly cover the same ground or consist of an accumulation of shorter journeys made during the course of everyday life.

This seems to be talking about a "proper" journey, not just an accumulation of miles. The existing record holder rode south-easterly across much of Sumatra and part of Java, and it's easy to see how that qualifies. Riding up to JoG before coming back down to Land's End? I'd be doubtful. An extended JOGLE, zig-zagging across the country to make up the miles looks questionable too. Maybe Guinness have implied it would be OK, but they have been known to change their minds.

Something like Paris - Moscow would fit the bill - which kind of emphasises just how big a project this really is.

Top Bottom