Are they really world record-holders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indeed

Back when I turned 50 I had this idea of setting a world record. I wanted to cycle unsupported from Lowstoft Ness to ArdnaMurchen Point in the shortest time. In other words from most easterly to westerly points of GB accessible by road.

It would be a new record category but Guiness responded that they would not create this new category as it wasn't of international interest or some such bollocks. Then you see they validate stuff like the fastest clock in the London Marathon.

I lost interest in Guinness validating anything I did after that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indeed Guiness don't distinguish between supported and unsupported. An attempt being supported makes a huge difference .

lane

Veteran
That's not actually true. Kajsa Tylen held the record once she'd finished her year, because she'd beaten Billie Fleming's record. Then, when Amanda Coker completed her year they handed to record to her, and she now holds it.

KT rode under a different set of rules to AC (KT under some rules cooked up by Guinness, AC under Ultra Marathon Cycling Association - UMCA rules), so Guinness had to change the rules - but this just serves to illustrate the stupidity of applying sporting type rules and laws to endeavours such as this.

Yes you are correct I have checked and AC is in GBR. I may be wrong again but I didn't think the previous record holders certified by the ulta marathon cycling association were included in GBR.

lane

Veteran
Or look at it another way KT was never as far as I am aware authenticated or awarded by the UMCA and conversely KS was never in GBR. Also Steve ended up with the year record for a short while iirc but never in GBR.I might not have been totally correct but my argument still stands we have two different authenticating bodies for basically the same record but I don't think the rules were exactly the same. Anyway as I said n my first post everyone knows what they each did and they were amazing achievements.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Surely for a round the world record attempt there must be a set course? Unless everybody travels the same distance and through the same countries, you can't compare the rides? Its a lot further around the equator than it is in northern Europe - and by necessity some of the journey must involve crossing seas? Is that regulated?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why would anyone want to cycle round the world in the fkt??

Seems like a massive expenditure of time, effort, and money, to miss out on so much.

I wouldn't mind being sponsored to cycle round the world as slooowly as possible though :blush:
Maybe it is because they know they have the abilty to do it and you know you havnt.

lane

Veteran
Not correct. Kurt Searvogel is listed by Guinness FWIW https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...nual-distance-by-bicycle-by-a-male-umca-rules

I think we may be essentially in agreement. But you keep illustrating it with factually incorrect statements, which is a red rag to a pedant like me ;)
However I followed the year record ecord

Your absolutely right and I am wrong. However I followed the year record closely from the start when Steve started and at the time and with KS and I believe also with AC it had absolutely nothing to do with GBR until KT decided to do her challenge under GBR auspices. I believe that other people's achievements have been recognised by GBR later. Anyway I appreciate that things seemed to have mooved since I was last following things making most of what I have posted previoysly in this thread incorrect.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Maybe it is because they know they have the abilty to do it and you know you havnt.

You mean I'm pretending I'm not interested, because I secretly would like to do it, but don't think I'm capable??

Nope, really not interested in being fastest at anything - totally doesn't float my boat. I can satisfy my ego by other means :wahhey:

But I'd love to have the time and wherewithal, to cycle round the world.

I'd just want to do it more slowly, and savour the journey.

I have done, and plan to do more multiday trips, its just speed is not of the essence for me - the experience massively is :smile:

lane

Veteran
I also enjoy muti day trips. While speed isn't a thing for me I do like to challenge myself a bit on distance even if it means long days in the saddle with a bit of pressure not to stop for too long or too often. However I couldn't get anywhere close to the distances covered day in day out by some record breakers. I can't really comprehend it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I also enjoy muti day trips. While speed isn't a thing for me I do like to challenge myself a bit on distance even if it means long days in the saddle with a bit of pressure not to stop for too long or too often. However I couldn't get anywhere close to the distances covered day in day out by some record breakers. I can't really comprehend it.

Likewise, I can't comprehend it..

Nor really comprehend wanting to do it.

Of course its always each, very much to their own, but travelling through, and experiencing the landscape, people, culture etc etc.

Is a massive part of any sort of travel on bike, or foot, for me..

And yes, sometimes, I'll get off on munching the miles, on some days, if I'm keen, and the wind is right.

But, rushing on through, to attain some numbers, and in the process forgoing a interesting diversion to see a place of interest, or to fulfil a whim, seems against the whole idea of 'adventure travel'.. Whether that takes place near or far...

Some built in flexibility seems key to me - otherwise it's just a job of 'work' in a way...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You mean I'm pretending I'm not interested, because I secretly would like to do it, but don't think I'm capable??

Nope, really not interested in being fastest at anything - totally doesn't float my boat. I can satisfy my ego by other means :wahhey:

But I'd love to have the time and wherewithal, to cycle round the world.

I'd just want to do it more slowly, and savour the journey.

I have done, and plan to do more multiday trips, its just speed is not of the essence for me - the experience massively is :smile:
I feel the same way. I am riding the Transcontinental race this year. I have pencilled in 21 days for it. But I have huge respect an understanding for those who will be doing it in 8 or 9 days.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I feel the same way. I am riding the Transcontinental race this year. I have pencilled in 21 days for it. But I have huge respect an understanding for those who will be doing it in 8 or 9 days.
Maybe you could try to share that understanding because many tourers/tourists just don't get it :smile: It seems like doing one of the worst bits of touring - the rush to beat a check in deadline - for the whole ride.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You don't have to get it if you don't want to. Ultra racing is just that - racing. It's not touring.

The TCR is expressly not a tour: it's a race.
Sorry for being unclear. I was referring to the likes of the round the world expedition record, as in the OP. I understand racing somewhat, even unsupported races like TCR, but this isn't a racing subforum and I don't think things like Mark Beaumont's record are recognised by any racing body, are they?

And it's not that I don't want to get it. I just don't.

Top Bottom