Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't despair @gavroche Citroen, your favourite car company, are bringing out the Ami soon, an electric car for €6000.

1636919150710.png

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's not quite that bad.
Our last car cost £6000 to buy. We spent £1400 on repairs over 4 years, and we got £1650 as a trade in. That car therefore cost us £120 a month in depreciation and repairs, and another £50 a month in fuel.
I can lease a brand new Nissan Leaf for £210, with no repairs, no road tax (yes, I know) and powered off overnight cheap electricity.

Chris S

Legendary Member
With the cost of petrol/diesel going up by the day and now teaching £1.50 a litre, I wonder if it is a conspiracy by the automotive industry and the government to force us to buy electric cars?
I can remember the outrage when petrol reached £1 a litre in the 1990s. Some garages had to change their pumps because they could only cope with a 2-digit price. I don't drive anymore so if it is a conspiracy to get people out of petrol cars then it's working.

midlife

Guru
It's not quite that bad.
Our last car cost £6000 to buy. We spent £1400 on repairs over 4 years, and we got £1650 as a trade in. That car therefore cost us £120 a month in depreciation and repairs, and another £50 a month in fuel.
I can lease a brand new Nissan Leaf for £210, with no repairs, no road tax (yes, I know) and powered off overnight cheap electricity.

There's also the £2200 first payment.

gzoom

Über Member
Sadly the poor will end up feeling the extra costs the most as the middle classes buy their swanky model 3’s etc.

This is a real issue that's been coming for a while. The assumption was EVs would get cheaper over time so priced would fall to a similar level of combustion cars.......

But the reality is the opposite, our very expensive Model X costs us £72k in 2017, to get the same spec car today is going to cost us £113k!!!

The Model Y when it was first introduced in the US cost $50k last year, now its close to $60k.

Its not just Tesla either, even Hyundai/Kia brands you normally associate with value are cashing in on EVs. You need £45k for one in decent spec.

But prices are driven by demand and currently there is no shortage of cash flying around. Tesla has a 1 year wait for the £113k Model X, Porsche cannot build their £120k Taycan fast enough, and Hyundai/Kia have similar demand for EVs.

The 'free market' is currently doing its thing, so unless you can access all the fake money the banks have been printing you are pretty much out of luck:sad:.

Gillstay

Über Member
You could just react and make your car more economical and thus save the £'s and reduce your footprint.

Drago

Legendary Member
To answer the thread title...

No.

No one is being forced to do anything. No one is forced to drive a car. The "need" to drive a car is usually not a genuine need at all, but rather simple excuse by way of justification.

Cars of any type are an environmental nightmare. If youre unhappy paying the (relatively low considering the environmental toll) price to own and drive one, then I have some advice for you - Don't

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm afraid the age of mass car ownership has got to come to an end. Everyone wants a great big shiny new car, there are more and more people so there are more and more cars and their screwing the world up. Soon there will just not be enough room for all the cars and roads. Get used to it, you're being priced off the road.
We've come to the conclusion that we'd prefer to manage without owning a car when our current one dies. We are fortunate that we live within walking/cycling distance of all amenities.

Methinks the current rush to buy houses in the country may soon be reversed!

Landsurfer

Veteran
Volvo has admitted that the production of their all electric cars (Polestar) produces 70% more carbon than their petrol range.
The carbon payback for their electric cars is 13 years.
The carbon payback for their petrol cars is 8 years.
The continuing world of "Emperors New Clothes” .... continues ....

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To answer the thread title...

No.

No one is being forced to do anything. No one is forced to drive a car. The "need" to drive a car is usually not a genuine need at all, but rather simple excuse by way of justification.

Cars of any type are an environmental nightmare. If youre unhappy paying the (relatively low considering the environmental toll) price to own and drive one, then I have some advice for you - Don't
I totally disagree with you on this instance.Most people need a car for various reasons. In my case, it is to see our children with a range from 12 miles to 300 miles. The other is that my wife can't walk far hence the car is necessary for shopping so our car is used for essential journeys really where public transport is not practical or viable.
I don't think driving about 3000 miles a year is that detrimental to the environment compared to aeroplanes, lorries, big tanker ships and other large vehicles used daily all over the world.
I walk a lot or cycle when on my own to save using the car too so I have a clear conscience.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rubbish.

Few people genuinely "need" a car. Few will die if suddenly forced to give them up. Try not driving your car tomorrow - I bet you make it through the day alive, as will your loved ones, so where is this "need"?

We need food. We need water. We need air. Vitrually no one needs to drive.

Indeed, 17 million households in the UK do not have a car and manage just fine. What makes you a more deserving or special case than them? Nothing. You drive solely for the massive convenience it brings you

Not a single person is born needing to drive a car. Most peoples own life choices dictate this later "need" to drive. As aforementioned, 17 million households either cannot or do not want to, so any "need" you may have is purely a fiction to allow you to carry on without bothering to do anything differently.

The truth is you drive because it is incredibly convenient, and you want to keep it that way. Sadly, you can't even be honest with yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom