Are we being tarred with the same brush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freddyflintstone

I know we curse the motorist, breaking the law using their phones, passing too close etc
What about the cyclist at night, no lights, wearing dark clothing, on the road or pavement
expecting the motorist (and pedestrian) to see him. If he's "hit". I will just claim,
after all, "I am owed a living" and the solicitors are all for these type of claims.
Just walked to the shops
One was wobbling all over, hands free, on the phone, one minute on the pavement then the next on the road
At the top of the hill his two mates were waiting on their bikes, no lights, dark clothes etc They came down the path
shouting F*** O*F to a pensioner to get out of the way.
And I live in a nice area
How about a system to report these sort of idiots
and can you really blame the motorist for hating cyclist after meeting these type of people

For example: In Denmark you have an on the spot fine of 500Kr for no lights after dusk

Not sure anyone blames ALL motorists for close passes, dodgy inconsiderate manoeuvres etc. but it certainly seems that all motorists tar ALL cyclists with the same brush as those that you describe!

Did you know all cyclists jump red lights for example? Last week I saw 1 cyclist do it, but 9 cars do it.

No one would ever generalise about the driver....

Nonetheless, I do wish this country could afford a greater police presence to prevent this.

Mozzy

My philosophical head just simply reasons that each and everyone of these peeps be it car lorry sickle cyclist driver rider, has no regard, concern or respect for their own life .... or anyone else around them
angry.gif

Mozzy

OP
OP
Freddyflintstone

Freddyflintstone

My philosophical head just simply reasons that each and everyone of these peeps be it car lorry sickle cyclist driver rider, has no regard, concern or respect for their own life .... or anyone else around them
angry.gif

Mozzy
Totally Agree
Whilst walking back from the shops, I have to walk down a single car lane road, a mini
came down at approx 80mph past me (luckley I was walking-normally I would cycle)
Out of interest, my Nephews friend did the same, lost control and the car went into the canal
upside down and he drowned. His friends could not release his seat belt
BUT ... They know better don't they

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
This sort of links into a thread I made earlier:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-one-off-the-hook.90709/

I think there are a lot of blurred lines here - responsible cyclists being blamed and held responsible for ninjas and RLJ'ers and motorists justifying killing cyclists because they don't pay road tax.

Responsible cyclists don't like RLJ'ers either and will happily round on them, but the inconsistency comes when a motorist maims or kills a cyclist, (surprise surprise) there is little or no condemnation of their actions (from non-cycling commentators).

The fines for RLJ'ing and Ninjas are pathetic. Make them £100-200, but also make dangerous/careless driving punishment a real deterrant to bad driving.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
You can break it down further: One minute a person can drive like a dick the next they can be considerate and sensible. From driving and cycling my experiences have shown that when blokes drive like dicks, they know they are driving like dicks, most women on the other hand seem quite oblivious to their mistakes. Like all aspects of life some people are better at driving than others. It pisses me off when I have to squeeze through a gap on my side of the road because the pillock coming the other way wants a 5 foot gap on their other side.

Top Bottom