Are we going to go back to the old days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
The UK ,well lets say England is passing new laws about deposit returns on plastic and metal drinks bottles, one slight problem is glass is not going to be included. Quess what all the big drinks companies might do to save the hassle of returning bottles?

tom73

Guru
They won't cost even more and they will have extra targets to recycle them if what reported ends up happening.
Much bigger issue is how do none car owner households , ect, suppose to take part and benefit from it ?
It's excluding whole areas of society.

vickster

Legendary Member
They won't cost even more and they will have extra targets to recycle them if what reported ends up happening.
Much bigger issue is how do none car owner households , ect, suppose to take part and benefit from it ?

Surely they get the bottles and cans home in the first place? They’ll be lighter to return. Bottle and can deposits have existed in Germany and Austria for decades, carless citizens manage there?

Slick

Guru
Scotland has already passed similar laws and they would already be in use if it wasn't for covid. Coke for example are making huge changes in preparation for it, well, according to my mate who works there, so its definitely true. :okay:

tom73

Guru
Scotland has already passed similar laws and they would already be in use if it wasn't for covid. Coke for example are making huge changes in preparation for it, well, according to my mate who works there, so its definitely true. :okay:

Coke have a shocking record on plastic waste and wont publish just how much plastic they use or how much is new plastic. Most of the plastic bottle waste in the world is down to them. I remember watching a program about plastic bottle waste it was shocking the effect coke had on one country shown in the program. That they went from glass to all plastic the waste was all over the place recycling is only a small part of the problem.

Slick

Guru
Coke have a shocking record on plastic waste and wont publish just how much plastic they use or how much is new plastic. Most of the plastic bottle waste in the world is down to them. I remember watching a program about plastic bottle waste it was shocking the effect coke had on one country shown in the program. That they went from glass to all plastic the waste was all over the place recycling is only a small part of the problem.

I think I saw the same program.

I'm not a coke fan, its just because a friend works there and tells me things like the deposit return thing discussed in the OP. My point was more that its definitely happening in Scotland as well, possibly even before it takes affect in England.

tom73

Guru
I think I saw the same program.

I'm not a coke fan, its just because a friend works there and tells me things like the deposit return thing discussed in the OP. My point was more that its definitely happening in Scotland as well, possibly even before it takes affect in England.

I understand it was just a bit of information as part of thread. :smile:
I just pointing out they need to change way more than a bit for greenwashing.
Wales is well ahead too and both inc glass bottles. No word on real details of English plan it's the universal access thats the big question for me. The pilots that happened in England it was only in large stores.
Do you know if the Scottish plan inc all shops that sell drinks or only ones over a given size?
What about of money are they looking to give back and is it set or you get more for bigger bottles as some other country do?

Slick

Guru
I understand it was just a bit of information as part of thread. :smile:
I just pointing out they need to change way more than a bit for greenwashing.
Wales is well ahead too and both inc glass bottles. No word on real details of English plan it's the universal access thats the big question for me. The pilots that happened in England it was only in large stores.
Do you know if the Scottish plan inc all shops that sell drinks or only ones over a given size?
What about of money are they looking to give back and is it set or you get more for bigger bottles as some other country do?

My understanding is that it covers every bottle sold using a single use container regardless of what size of business sold it to you.

Still nor implemented yet though for various reasons.

https://www.gov.scot/news/scotlands-deposit-return-scheme/

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This has been going on in Denmark for at least the 18 years I have been here. All the supermarkets have a machine where you return bottles and cans. It gives you a reciept which you spend in the shop.

Its a great system and works really well.

Alex321

Veteran

The same way they get them in the first place.

If they can't get them to the shop to recycle, then how did they get them home from the shop?

And from the article I saw in The Times today, any shop which sells them will have to take returns. It is up to them whether they have an automated system, or whether it is manual over the counter.

Proto

Legendary Member
Anyone able to explain to me why it will take until 2025 to implement?

Saw the scheme in action in Denmark years ago. Plenty of less fortunate citizens making a few Krone keeping the streets clean.

I’m old enough to have searched for bottles to take to the outdoor (off licence for no Brummies) for a few pennies pocket money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom