Are we going to go back to the old days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We always took the empty bottles back to the shop so I can't see any reason why we can't do it now. People without cars won't be excluded. You are trying to see a problem that doesn't exist, and to make some people look like victims. Total twaddle. Seems to be the way people think these days. How on earth did we ever manage 50 years ago.

This is already happening in other countries already and I haven't heard cries of its not fair and we are being victimised.

If other countries don't have a problem with it then why should we?

Its about time it was done here. I do wish glass was included though.

Last edited:
They won't cost even more and they will have extra targets to recycle them if what reported ends up happening.
Much bigger issue is how do none car owner households , ect, suppose to take part and benefit from it ?
It's excluding whole areas of society.

We've had this for years, no problems taking bottles to glass bins or supermarkets by bike. As others have said, we manage to go shopping, and containers are lighter empty.

Which reminds me, I need to take a load back next week; i keep forgetting...

This has been going on in Denmark for at least the 18 years I have been here. All the supermarkets have a machine where you return bottles and cans. It gives you a reciept which you spend in the shop.

Its a great system and works really well.

Same here: it's a highlight of Beautiful Daughter's trips to the supermarket.

It may even help reduce these items being thrown by the roadside and bushes. Have seen people especially the homeless incentivised to collect and clean up public places in cities in other countries.

Last edited:
Anyone able to explain to me why it will take until 2025 to implement?

Saw the scheme in action in Denmark years ago. Plenty of less fortunate citizens making a few Krone keeping the streets clean.

I’m old enough to have searched for bottles to take to the outdoor (off licence for no Brummies) for a few pennies pocket money.

We did that back in the 60's . It was quite educational. Some pubs would only take certain bottles . We trading ours in for sweets , pop , and crisps . It was an effective way of keeping litter down , we used to search for bottles discarded by the side of the road .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The way I see it is everything that is recyclable gets a bar code and when you pay for said item it's scanned and added to your purchase records .
When said item is returned it's scanned again and removed from your records.
The same could apply to non recyclable items.
Just imagine if all sofas were coded a quick scan could identify who they were sold to and then they could be removed from street corners and country lanes and returned to original owners

tom73

Guru
Indeed, it is complex. But doing nothing, for fear of excluding some, is not the answer either.

No it's not and the clock is ticking, I am all for it and for all political clowns to really get a grip of all climate and environmental matters.

We always took the empty bottles back to the shop so I can't see any reason why we can't do it now. People without cars won't be excluded. You are trying to see a problem that doesn't exist, and to make some people look like victims. Total twaddle. Seems to be the way people think these days. How on earth did we ever manage 50 years ago.

This is already happening in other countries already and I haven't heard cries of its not fair and we are being victimised.

If other countries don't have a problem with it then why should we?

Its about time it was done here. I do wish glass was included though.

I wish matters of social exclusion that I deal with turned out to be twaddle sadly they are not.

We've had this for years, no problems taking bottles to glass bins or supermarkets by bike. As others have said, we manage to go shopping, and containers are lighter empty.

I'm aware of the German one and how well it works. Germany also has way better public transport options and none car options than we have and a more socially aware state. Here we do have a history of bringing things in and ending up with somthing that never really works or never deals with the problem. Which was my point as it was unclear what was being proposed was just a rehash of the pilot or something more practical and workable. The current clowns have a history of never following though and conveniently missing off sections of society.

Having read the full proposal what's being worked on most will be in easy reach of shop and be able to take part. The proposal also incudes online retailers though it's not clear just how that is going to work. Community and 3rd sector groups are also included and will be allowed to take part. Which should extended the coverage and take up even more and as an extra plus extra income source.

It may even help reduce these items being thrown by the roadside and bushes. Have seen people especially the homeless incentivised to collect and clean up public places in cities in other countries.

Indeed some counties actually thought about that one and have fitted cage like holders round public bins. For people to use for bottles so homeless ect can get at the bottles safely without having to go hunting in bins. Be nice to think that would happen here though sadly can't see it.

My local fly tip area was being cleared the other day when I went past on my bike . I stopped to chat to one of the chaps doing the clearing. I said that it was a right mess but I found an old Dawes cycle that had been dumped there which I have cleaned up . At another place I found an electric pedal car which I got working and my grandson uses it. I have had to leave some things as I can't make use of everything like . Barbeque, old wooden shed, Flymo lawnmower, ceramic table lamp with shade.

tom73

Guru
The way I see it is everything that is recyclable gets a bar code and when you pay for said item it's scanned and added to your purchase records .
When said item is returned it's scanned again and removed from your records.
The same could apply to non recyclable items.
Just imagine if all sofas were coded a quick scan could identify who they were sold to and then they could be removed from street corners and country lanes and returned to original owners

The question is who you trust to control the records we have history of stuff like that being nicked or lost.

Germany also has way better public transport options and none car options than we have and a more socially aware state. Here we do have a history of bringing things in and ending up with somthing that never really works or never deals with the problem. Which was my point as it was unclear what was being proposed was just a rehash of the pilot or something more practical and workable. The current clowns have a history of never following though and conveniently missing off sections of society.

This is all fair, sadly. I've never seen anyone taking glass recycling onto a bus though; the bins are generally within a few km of most homes. A lot of people also use hand carts.

I notice that our in-house restaurant is part of a scheme where you pay a deposit on plates for takeaways and you can hand them in at any participating business to redeem your deposit: they are currently trying it out to see how well it works.

It helps that glass deposit bottles have long been a part of the picture.

I'm not that enthusiastic about the idea of homeless people gathering bottles as a great idea: it's not inherently bad, but apart from the feeling that it would be better to have something organised, an informal system carries the inherent risk of someone claiming 'rights' to a certain place to collect bottles.

It can also be used as an excuse not to help people "because they're doing fine collecting bottles". One idea that has started here (because Germans wil organise the cr*p out of anything) is that bottle machines now have an option to donate the deposits to the local food bank. Some later tried different charities like sport clubs for a while I don't think that was continued, fortunately.

gbb

Legendary Member
They won't cost even more and they will have extra targets to recycle them if what reported ends up happening.
Much bigger issue is how do none car owner households , ect, suppose to take part and benefit from it ?
It's excluding whole areas of society.

Several things spring to mind..
Currently, those that can be bothered recycle plastics do so via their local council refuse collections, right on thir doorstep. Is this to change ? I doubt it as there other recyclables local councils collect, so that (probably) deals with those with no cars etc
I say 'can be bothered' because as we all know, people are lazy, streets and public areas are littered with plastic bottles and carp. People who do that (probably ) won't change. However, kids, people that do car will have a financial incentive to pick the stuff up. I do it for free, no reason a few wouldnt pick up the habit.
Assuming manufacturers have targets, how do you separate out stuff placed in banks and stuff that goes to local council recycling...could be a little earner for local authorities.

Either way, I'm all for it. Whether it will change attitudes remains to be seen.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Coke have a shocking record on plastic waste and wont publish just how much plastic they use or how much is new plastic. Most of the plastic bottle waste in the world is down to them. I remember watching a program about plastic bottle waste it was shocking the effect coke had on one country shown in the program. That they went from glass to all plastic the waste was all over the place recycling is only a small part of the problem.

"Coke" make the product, as far as I am aware, it is the customers who discard the empty containers.

No doubt some of the public may be employees of "Coke", but, in all instances those who litter out streets and countryside are simply irresponsible, thoughtless and idle.

Top Bottom