Are we to blame for Bristol bus delays?...Bristol post at it again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Is it a lie? Did more cyclist think of their own safety & try to use the buses then normally do? Just because you don't like what he's saying make it 'stupid' Granted the better spiel would have been to say they had underestimated the need for extra services as more people decided to use their services due to the weather, but hey are not going to admit that.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I don't understand the people blaming the Post for reporting what the MD of First Bus said. It was his comment about the unexpected influx of ice-averse people who normally cycle to work which was eyebrow-raising, after all.

I think the man has a good point about the lack of proper bus lanes on Metrobus and the roadworks, but to moan when his customer numbers unexpectedly rise in bad weather is surprising !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't understand the people blaming the Post for reporting what the MD of First Bus said. It was his comment about the unexpected influx of ice-averse people who normally cycle to work which was eyebrow-raising, after all.

I think the man has a good point about the lack of proper bus lanes on Metrobus and the roadworks, but to moan when his customer numbers unexpectedly rise in bad weather is surprising !
1. When an arsonist is running around spraying inflammable fuel over things, should we catch and criticise the arsonist or assist them?

2. Does Worst Bus still want to steal the BBRP and Festival Way and other busy cycleways to put busway tracks on them? This information isn't in the article to put the comments in context.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Is it a lie? Did more cyclist think of their own safety & try to use the buses then normally do? Just because you don't like what he's saying make it 'stupid' Granted the better spiel would have been to say they had underestimated the need for extra services as more people decided to use their services due to the weather, but hey are not going to admit that.

The BP has a history of writing things like this and I have 'monitored' them over the years.

Regular 'articles' repeatedly published include such things as:

'Reasons why cycling is dangerous in Bristol' & 'Do cyclists know the law?'.

These two have been published at least twice. In 2018, an article stating that cycle stands are being removed from Temple Meads station appeared on their website much to the glee of their readership. I was at the station buying a train ticket on that day and this article made the front cover of the paper edition in WH Smiths!.

So why would a non-story about stands appear on the front cover?.

I occasionally take buses rather than cycle and there's nothing wrong with the MD of First saying that cyclists may take buses in frosty & icy conditions but it's the wording of the article I object to.

I'll wager that you are never likely to see:

'Motorists cause bus delays' if people switch from cars to buses.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

A better title would have been , "Rise in passenger numbers causes delays". Nice & neutral.

But this is the BP, so blame cyclists to generate anger among their gammon Daily Mail-esque readership.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A better title would have been , "Rise in passenger numbers causes delays". Nice & neutral.

But this is the BP, so blame cyclists to generate anger among their gammon Daily Mail-esque readership.
I can see it was clickbait. The Bristol Cyclists facebook chat has been interesting to read. A shame after the "do 1 thing" articles the day before encouraging people to embrace active travel.

icowden

Veteran
Fixed it:-

James Freeman, the managing director of First West of England said: “We have seen extremely icy weather move in on Monday and Tuesday, followed by thick fog on Wednesday, which unfortunately slowed traffic more than usual all through Bristol during rush hour.

“In addition, we saw a surge people, many of whom we believe were cyclists using buses people who would normally travel via any other means to avoid having to use our poorly resourced and over subscribed bus service.

“As a result, buses were getting full quicker, with consequential delays for passengers boarding at stops closer in to the city centre.

“To solve these problems in the short term we would need to deprive shareholders of their dividends so that we could invest in a lot more buses and drivers than we currently have, but none the less we are trying our best with what is left after the £5,400,000 profit from last year has been divested.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

I can see it was clickbait. The Bristol Cyclists facebook chat has been interesting to read. A shame after the "do 1 thing" articles the day before encouraging people to embrace active travel.

I know. But thats the schizoid BP for you, like cycling one day, demonise the next....

Top Bottom