Are women only interested in hunks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Patrick Stevens said:
The article was in the magazine section and would have been commissioned by the features editor. Syed has stood as a Labour candidate for Parliament, so I'm expecting a government initiative soon, guaranteeing an allocation of women to those blokes without the physique of a second row forward.

Earlier in the thread I was going to post about PPE being the degree of choice for mediocre would-be MPs who didn't have the depth or imagination for proper studies. I wish I had now.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ChrisKH said:
If Paula Radcliffe walked in the room I would be attracted more so for her achievements than her body or looks.
I'd put some tarpaulin down, for sure! :ohmy:

barq said:
The imagery goes back to ancient Greece but I think we are now exposed to lots of pictures of muscular/athletic men with very low body fat. I can't back this up, but my feeling is that there are now more male bodies on show in your average weekend newspaper/magazine than ten years ago. The irony of course is that the average man is probably further from this ideal than at any other point in history. :ohmy:
Ah yes, Mens Health springs to mind for the never ending ways that they can put a generic hunk and "One Million Sex Tips To Make Her Scream In Bed" on every single cover. Of course the upshot is that men (if they're daft enough to fall for it) get more paranoid about their physique, prowess etc and feel obliged to buy said magazine for advice. What's the bloke equivalent of size zero?

I used to have this lovely theory that physical attractiveness was inversely proportional to intelligence/sense of humour (so things were kind of fair). Unfortunately my witty, charming, intelligent, well-paid, ex-Hugo Boss male model friend has proved this theory wrong. :ohmy:
Look, he must have something wrong with him. Bastard.

Chuffy said:
Ah yes, Mens Health springs to mind for the never ending ways that they can put a generic hunk and "One Million Sex Tips To Make Her Scream In Bed" on every single cover. Of course the upshot is that men (if they're daft enough to fall for it) get more paranoid about their physique, prowess etc and feel obliged to buy said magazine for advice. What's the bloke equivalent of size zero?

So the same deal as women's magazines then - they play on your insecurities to make great fat wads of cash!

It's either: you're only worth something if you have washboard-like abs and are therefore virile
or: you're only worth somethingif you're built like a rake and accessorised to kill
and: if you don't aspire to our version of 'doing what's best for you' you clearly need counselling (or something similar)

wafflycat

Kirstie said:
Awww, so cute - y'all and your insecurities. Have a reassuring and not-in-any-way-patronising pat on the shoulder from me :ohmy:

For most of us it's all about what kind of person you are...but personally I am partial to music-loving cyclists (luckily I married one!!).

Aye. My lovely, gorgeous, wonderful husband is not a typical 'hunk' yet I think he's got a lovely bod and he may be 60 next year, but I fancy the pants off him more now than I did when we first met. But that's only a part of why I love him. He's kind, funny, caring, intelligent, a cyclist who encourages me in my cycling (or whatever I do), who I also happen to find hugely sexy and I love him to bits.

One reason why I love the man:- years ago, in chatting I mentioned a particular artist whose work I love, who happened to be an ex-teacher of mine. My husband managed to contact said artist (who remembered me) and commissioned a painting from him for me as a surprise present. My painting has pride of place at home and it is signed "To Helen, with affection, from your old art teacher, Don" For my dear husband to take the time & trouble he did to get me that painting... speaks more of love than any mere 'hunkability' could ever do.

Another reason I love him:- he brings me a hot cup of tea first thing in the morning, every morning!

And another:- I can be stuck miles from anywhere, broken down on the bike and he will, without hesitation or complaint, come and rescue me.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Kirstie said:
So the same deal as women's magazines then - they play on your insecurities to make great fat wads of cash!

It's either: you're only worth something if you have washboard-like abs and are therefore virile
or: you're only worth somethingif you're built like a rake and accessorised to kill
and: if you don't aspire to our version of 'doing what's best for you' you clearly need counselling (or something similar)

Have you been working in publishing for long, Kirstie?

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
Aye. My lovely, gorgeous, wonderful husband is not a typical 'hunk' yet I think he's got a lovely bod and he may be 60 next year, but I fancy the pants off him more now than I did when we first met. But that's only a part of why I love him. He's kind, funny, caring, intelligent, a cyclist who encourages me in my cycling (or whatever I do), who I also happen to find hugely sexy and I love him to bits.

One reason why I love the man:- years ago, in chatting I mentioned a particular artist whose work I love, who happened to be an ex-teacher of mine. My husband managed to contact said artist (who remembered me) and commissioned a painting from him for me as a surprise present. My painting has pride of place at home and it is signed "To Helen, with affection, from your old art teacher, Don" For my dear husband to take the time & trouble he did to get me that painting... speaks more of love than any mere 'hunkability' could ever do.

Another reason I love him:- he brings me a hot cup of tea first thing in the morning, every morning!

And another:- I can be stuck miles from anywhere, broken down on the bike and he will, without hesitation or complaint, come and rescue me.

Spot on Waffley, and Kirstie before you.

I couldn't, personally, consider the idea of being with someone I couldn't spend an evening nattering to (or conversly, to just sit in companionable silence), no matter how 'hunky' or muscled he was. I once made the mistake of staying with someone I couldn't talk to like that (he wasn't even very hunky, but I was lonely and didn't want to be single), and it was soul destroying and a relief when it came to an end. And now, I may be terribly lonely at times, but I wouldn't ever just settle for someone again unless he was right for me.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Arch said:
I once made the mistake of staying with someone I couldn't talk to like that (he wasn't even very hunky, but I was lonely and didn't want to be single), and it was soul destroying and a relief when it came to an end. .

I've bulked up since. :ohmy:

Bigtallfatbloke

I think it's pretty much the same for girls as it is for blokes. We are attracted to the Fitter members of the opposite sex. Huge muscles and body builder frames arnt necessarily attractive, lean physical fitness is however.
I am attracted to FIT women and I believe they are attracted to FIT blokes more so that fat slobs. Being a rich fit bloke also helps.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I think it's pretty much the same for girls as it is for blokes. We are attracted to the Fitter members of the opposite sex. Huge muscles and body builder frames arnt necessarily attractive, lean physical fitness is however.
I am attracted to FIT women and I believe they are attracted to FIT blokes more so that fat slobs. Being a rich fit bloke also helps.

Ah but for some of us, 'fitter' means brainier, or more imaginative, or creative. Otherwise those facets would have died out and we'd be a species entirely consisting of brawn.

Remember, while the big fit strong types are out hunting the mammoths, the less physically fit, but clever ones are back in the caves, inventing fire and entertaining the ladies...

An example - I always try to watch Mock the Week when it's on, and it's often 6 male comedians of various shapes and sizes, and Dara O'Brien (fairly chunky) hosting. And I generally find myself thinking, I'd like to spend time with any of those guys, because they makes me laugh.

I'll admit, I don't think I've ever felt attracted to any guy who was very obese, but then I don't know that I've met any I liked in character terms anyway.

Arch said:
Remember, while the big fit strong types are out hunting the mammoths, the less physically fit, but clever ones are back in the caves, inventing fire and entertaining the ladies...

I'll admit, I don't think I've ever felt attracted to any guy who was very obese, but then I don't know that I've met any I liked in character terms anyway.

Too true...- once I had a boyfriend who I was with for a while. And while I was going out with him he went away to university...ate too many pies...drank too much beer and gained half his bodyweight again! Wow! It surprised me but I didn't actually mind his size. It was more that he despised himself for getting like that, but didn't do anything about it, just kept stuffing his face! As a result all he did was go around feeling sorry for himself, was miserable all the time, and really bad company. We split up in the end but the attitude was definitely a factor, rather than the weight.

Top Bottom