Are women only interested in hunks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In yesterday's Times, Matthew Syed, one of their sports writers, complained that in his area of south London, there are large numbers of professional rugby players and this makes it difficult for ordinary people like him to get a girlfriend. He described how he was chatting to a girl at a party and she suddenly stopped talking to him because Lawrence Dallaglio walked in. He said that all the women present spent the rest of the evening gawping at LD and ignoring the other men.

His interesting thesis was that the more tarty females chase after footballers, but professional women, of the sort he's interested in, go for rugby players because they are much more intelligent than soccer players and hugely muscular. He even said that the likes of a Harlequins second team player will be followed in the street by an admiring group of females desparate to mate with him.

Ladies, is this true, is the fashion now for muscular hunks?

Tetedelacourse

If I were chatting to a girl at a party I'd be confident I could keep her attention even if a 7 ft potato smelling of beer and sounding like a '50's newsreader walked in

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
One would hope that it's not so much that they're only interested in hunks but rather that anybody who walks into a party is going to be more interesting than a non-entity London media luvvy, hence Mr Syed's difficulties.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Andy in Sig said:
One would hope that it's not so much that they're only interested in hunks but rather that anybody who walks into a party is going to be more interesting than a non-entity London media luvvy, hence Mr Syed's difficulties.

Mr Syed is a recent Commonwealth Games gold medallist and an Oxford graduate in PPE, so he generally feels that he can hold the attention of any non air head female for a minute or so.

yello

I think (some) women have always liked muscular hunks.

There's nothing wrong with looking and admiring anyway. I can admire a bloke's physique too... but not in a gay way :smile:

I remember being in a bar in Boston, US when a Celtic's (basketball) player came in and all eyes fell on him... but then he was around 7 foot tall!

Patrick Stevens said:
Mr Syed is a recent Commonwealth Games gold medallist and an Oxford graduate in PPE

That doesn't mean he's not dull as dishwater though!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Patrick Stevens said:
Mr Syed is a recent Commonwealth Games gold medallist and an Oxford graduate in PPE, so he generally feels that he can hold the attention of any non air head female for a minute or so.

Hmmm but he might have won his medal in one of those girly sports where judges award points rather than something sensible. (Now you're going to say it was bear wrestling or something similar.)

Does a degree in PPE mean that one is interesting?

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the other hand, some women are far more interested in a man they can get on well and have a decent conversation with.

Too many muscles, and I assume a certain amount of mental dullness and vanity.

ChrisKH

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
The only hunk most of them are interested in is the one in your wallet. Re Bernie Eccleston and Paul Daniels.

That can't be entirely true. I used to work at a firm where they had an articled clerk (as they were then) who had an Oxbridge first in Law and was drop dead gorgeous. In fact more attractive than Debbie McGee. She was knocking off Paul Daniels before he was famous so he must have had something else. Maybe.

Top Bottom