Are You A Label Reader?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
No-one bothered about chewing on sheep sweat then?

SD1

I always read them. Always trying to find supermarket sausages with meat in them.
Richmond Irish sausages might as well be vegetarian sausages.

SD1

No-one bothered about chewing on sheep sweat then?
Is Lanolin actually sweat? As in it actually comes from the sweat gland? As I don't think they have sweat glands.

"Lanolin’s role in nature is to protect wool and skin against the ravages of climate and the environment; it also seems to play a role in skin (integumental) hygiene."
So it is actually cleaning your mouth...possibly!

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I've had lots of very weird stuff in my mouth during my time; a little beaver anal juice is neither here nor there.

You'd be amazed at the products which now contain yogurt, for example. Chocolates, crisps, pizzas.
that explains why they are taking it out of yoghurt. Even the premium brands (eg Rachel's) now have starch - tapioca or rice starch, for example - on the list of ingredients. This is because it's cheaper to add starch than to add milk solids, or ferment it for longer, or sieve it to create a thicker yoghurt. The result is a food with the consistency of Angel Delight, but still with a premium organic price. I noticed the change in the consistency, before checking the label and finding out it was now artificially thickened.

Oddly, almost all plain yoghurts are just milk and culture, but as soon as they add fruit, they add lots of other, unnecessary ingredients.

Rather than reading ingredients, I try to buy things that don't have lists of ingredients. Americans call it shop the perimeter, but UK stores aren't laid out like that.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I look at labels because I used to produce them; so more a technical assessment than reading (did you know Mars Bar wrappers are printed with about 14 colours?). Though I am paranoid about avoiding breakfast foodstuffs containing sugar.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I look at labels because I used to produce them; so more a technical assessment than reading (did you know Mars Bar wrappers are printed with about 14 colours?). Though I am paranoid about avoiding breakfast foodstuffs containing sugar.
Thought it was 12 colours

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nature is the greatest organic chemist there is, capable of synthesising a vast array of compounds with extraordinary properties that would be extremely difficult for us to make artificially. Beaver bumjuice is used for scent marking and communicating, so contains a range of molecules which interact with receptors with a very high degree of specificity, giving them very particular odours and flavours, which is why they're so highly prized by perfumerers and gourmands.

Top Bottom