Are you a lark or owl?

• Lark

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Owl

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Somewhere inbetween

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been a late to bed type for decades. I remember working on the post in the mid 1990's. Heck, those 5am starts were bad! Even then I wouldn't go to bed before midnight. I slept a few hours when I got home from my shift mid afternoon, which enabled me to stay up 'late' at night. When I had a job as a wine waiter in the mid 1980's I'd often have a few drinks in my mum and dad's backyard (when I lived there obviously:rolleyes:) after work in the summer. I remember on one occasion I watched the sun rise then slept in a deckchair waking up about midday.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
An owl.

I usually go to bed ~1am. I can stay up late without too much bother because you're not sleep deprived until you pass normal bedtime, but getting up early you're short of sleep before you even start the day. I've driven to Yorkshire for a family funeral, spent all day at the wake, then set off at 10pm to drive 200 miles back home, no problem. If I get up early to go to the London-Brighton car run I'm falling asleep by 9am. Going on holiday, I used to travel on Friday night after work, never an early start on Saturday.

At 30, I've got into bed at 5am, then got up for work at 7am, but I can't do that now. At 54, I got taken to A&E one evening, arrived ~midnight, then arrived back home 7am, by which time I thought there's no point in going to bed, so I set about housework etc, and tidying stuff abandoned when the ambulance arrived, but by 9am it hit me like a brick, and I had to go to bed.

potsy

Rambler
Definitely a lark, up on work days before 6am and usually by 7am on days off...
Cannot remember the last time I was up after midnight, usually bedtime anywhere between 10-11pm..

Brandane

Legendary Member
I thought I was a lark, until reading other posts on this thread. Now I realise I'm just a lazy git ^_^.
Under normal circumstances I will go to bed about 11pm/midnight. Probably be awake by about 7am, but on a non working day I refuse to get up before 8..

Back in the day of working a 3 shift system my sleep pattern was all over the place. For 20 years. That cannot be good for anyone.

Definitely a lark.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Mostly an owl.
I work a mix of nights and days with no real pattern, adding in my current studying, seeing my daughter, girlfriend and all other commitments often sees me going 40+ hours sometimes without sleep.
When in some kind of routine I generally go to bed around 2 am and up at 5 for work.
Likewise on nights up around 1pm after 5 ish hours sleep which seems to be my norm nowadays.
When I have a day off I will sleep in on the odd occasion however that's a rarity as I usually have stuff to do.
Occasionally will force myself to bed but often end up awake for hours as a result.
GF is a mix of both but tend to need 8 -10 hours of sleep to function and wakes up alot easier than I do.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
FE01147-Exhausted-Pigeon-Quote-10x10-550x550w.jpg.webp
Thanks for this. At last I have a diagnosis - Permanently Exhausted Pigeon. I have trouble waking up and need to get to bed early. I have a decentish spell (relatively) after lunch till about 5pm.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Generally a Lark, can't do late nights/early get ups. 3 of the 4 of us are in bed before 11pm-12am, except my son who would do the opposite. He can't do that now as he starts work at 8am (one hopes - the disturbed nights are a killer) :wacko:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've voted for Owl, even though all my working life, on rotating shift patterns I was both.
Nowadays as a retiree I am normally awake around 5.30am.

Top Bottom