Are you a lark or owl?

• Lark

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Owl

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Somewhere inbetween

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Are you at your best early in the morning or late at night?

I've always been an owl, much to the frustration of my parents and later in life my lovely partner. I don't really know why, but I'm generally not sleepy until around 1am or slightly later and average 4-5 hours sleep most nights.

When I've chatted with colleagues about it we've discovered that there are a few larks amongst us, with one colleague going to bed around 9pm most nights. :eek:

Usually shotting the zzzz's out around 10. Ping awake any time after 5.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I would have put "night owl", but for many years:

FE01147-Exhausted-Pigeon-Quote-10x10-550x550w.jpg.webp

SWMBO is very much an early bird; bed by 8pm usually, up at 6am.

Last edited:
Are you at your best early in the morning or late at night?

I've always been an owl, much to the frustration of my parents and later in life my lovely partner. I don't really know why, but I'm generally not sleepy until around 1am or slightly later and average 4-5 hours sleep most nights.

When I've chatted with colleagues about it we've discovered that there are a few larks amongst us, with one colleague going to bed around 9pm most nights. :eek:

I'm fairly tired after nine most evenings, although I tend to push until ten because otherwise I'd barely do anything after a "late" shift. I start most days at 05:30 usually and can do more in the early morning, although don't ask me to do anything too complex until after the first cup of tea.

I was up late talking with Beautiful Wife last night and I'm already half asleep and having to go back and correct this post every second word....

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
As a carer for our daughter when she is with her, we don't get any "me" time until after 9pm, so if we watch any TV, it's usually well past midnight when we hit the wooden hill. Then she often seeks attention around 3am and then wants to have her morning bath any time after 6am.
So I am neither a lark or owl by choice, but both thru neccesity.

gbb

Legendary Member
Always been both, up early for work, straight into it. Equally, i cant go to bed early but do feel more tired as i get older. In my younger days, wouldnt even consider going to bed before 10.30 at the earliest

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I spent some time working at dairy farms when first milking started at 0530 and then had a spell as postman with a 0600 hrs start but had to commute by bike for 4 miles.
For a short while in the post office I had an 0430 start. Once I remember going for a walk in the countryside in the evening with my girlfriend and we sat down under a tree [as one does] and I fell asleep. She was not impressed but we married eventually anyway so I was forgiven.
My life since then always seemed to have early starts and now the best time to go cycling is early morning before the touroid have their breakfast and clutter up our roads.
Nowadays done by 2100 and asleep by 2200.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My owl-like tendencies have got worse now that I am a pensioner. These days it is typically 03:30 - 05:00 when I turn the lights out.

I don't usually have much to get up early for, but if there IS something to do (ride, blood test, train journey, whatever...) I just make do with a few hours sleep, get up as required, and try to squeeze a snooze in later.

Lark and an Owl. Least productive from 3pm to 8pm. Mentally spent and not good for work or research by 3pm. Always avoided after 3pm. Bed time cany be late as midnight or just past but usually 11pm.

I have gone to bed earlier when I shift to a new residence and the place is deadly quiet.

Up at 5.30am. Do most of my rides in the morning or late at night.

Know one chap who is a lark and he starts nodding at any event by 7.30pm. He rose thru the corporate ladder to a very senior position fast and I have no idea how he escaped notice at company evening functions which are common and required.

Top Bottom