Are you an ex cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has age / Injury/ illness/other forced you to quit or limit your cycling ?

Or have you battled back - refusing to give up....?

Drago

Legendary Member
Limited though orthopaedic injury. In fact, temporary enforced break for a few weeks as we speak.

Right elbow broken, 2 operations to rebuild and plate it. Limited feeling in my hand. A decade of not using my right arm properly has given me shoulder problems too, one operation to free it up and another possibly in the pipeline.

I acquired the original injury saving a lollipop lady from a kicking. I took it on her behalf - good news is I'd broken bones before so instantly knew what had happened, and was then quite justified in smacking his love plums to drop him, so while grievously injured I won that one. I probably saved the old dears life, definitely saved her from serious injury. Even now, retired and elderly as I am, if I saw someone in peril like that I'd intervene - Celer et Audax!!!

Anyway, my grip is relatively week, ive lost a lot of dexterity, 2 fingers (and at the moment my thumb) don't work as they should, and I ache very quickly if in the same position too long. The upshot is I cant manage long rides like I use to without gettiing deeply uncomfortable, and the side effects can last for days. 3 or 4 hours is my absolute limit, so maybe 40 miles max. But I'll never, ever stop riding while I still have arms and legs - I'll only give up when I'm a head.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
I've been very fortunate after stage 4 non hodgkin's lymphoma (diffused b-cell) and two bone marrow transplants to be able to cycle at the same level I did before my illness in 2012/3. Although the road to getting fitness back was very very hard and difficult I would say I am actually faster now due to the weight loss. My only caveat is that going from full on all weather cyclist I now only a fair weather cyclist as I don't want to take any chances with my immune system.

vickster

Legendary Member
Trying to deal with inflammatory arthritis but refusing to give up despite the pain, stiffness, fatigue...
Knee surgery 6 weeks ago, cycled 80 miles or so last week. I’m of the little and often school
If I can’t cycle, I use the gym for treadmill, exercise bike. Started Pilates after nagging from the rheumatologist but the classes are pretty difficult due to the stiffness (and not being able to kneel!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No road cycling now after getting a badly broken spine from a stupid driver. MTB instead but get tonnes of pain after an hour or so. Nothing like the miles now, but I go out to enjoy the scenery. Commute miles are somewhat mundane in comparison (i don't ride to work).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Still battling on here, even bought a trike. :cycle:

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm very slowly getting back into it after a huge and long lasting lung infection that took up most of 2017!

I was investigated for cancer in the middle of the year as the infection had caused a huge mass to grow in my right lung. It turned out to be phlegm! I had expectations I'd be an ex-everything at one point.

Last year I built up my walking, this year I'm getting about on the trike.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting (and moving) thread this. You read posts from CC members and dont realise the battles some of them are waging.
I feel quite fortunate. Got into cycling maybe 8 years ago. A few ops for cancer knocked my enthusiasm but somehow got that back. Definitely a fair weather cyclist but do enjoy a 10-30 mile trundle.

Top Bottom