Are you ever tempted to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... fix a bike that you see on a bike rack?

The other day I parked my bike up in its usual bike rack. I caught a glimpse of the chain on the bike, and if ever a chain was crying out for a wee squidge of oil it, it was that one. :biggrin:

Of course I didn't, but it got me wondering, has anyone ever done any maintenance on a bike they have come across without the owners knowledge?

domtyler

Über Member
I can only think that you want to get in its owners knickers.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A bit like random acts of kindness... randon acts of maintenance...I like the idea, wish someone would do it for my bikes (and my car!)

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I have done. I took someone's front wheel off and fixed their p*nct*re. Good thing I mentioned it to the guy on the reception desk, as about 5 minutes after I'd removed the wheel, the owner came dashing in worried that someone had nicked it!

gbb

Legendary Member
I have this all the time...wondering past the bike rack, looking at that dry chain :sad:.
I did fix a puncture one on a chinese girls bike. I knew she wouldnt even be able to ask, so i took it upon myself. She was possibly blissfully unaware she ever had a puncture :smile:

A neighbours porch corner is occasionally prone to kids with marker pen graffiti..its around the corner from his door, so he cant see it so he's not bothered, i can see it and i am bothered. :biggrin:
I have taken a brush to it twice with a very similar coloured paint...10 seconds, two sweeps with the brush...jobs a goodun...on the way to work.

SWMBO reckons i could get done for criminal damage...in this day and age..i wouldnt be surprised :smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
I have done so for a female colleague at work as I knew she wouldn't be able to do it and Evans would charge a fortune for what was a very small job (brake adjustment, puncture repair). She was grateful but thought I was hitting on her at first! ;)

on the road

Über Member
The thought has never occured to me, but I have often looked at a bike with a bent wheel at a bike rack and often wondered how they got there with a bent wheel ;)

I've never done it myself but i've often passed bikes which look in desperate need of repair only for them to lie there for what seems like years.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Some friends and I once discussed the idea of setting up a guerilla bike maintenance group - swooping on bike racks, fixing stuff and running off...

Wearing balaclavas for full effect of course....

Maz

Guru
When my kids dust off their bikes to ride in the warmer weather, I end up raising saddles, oiling chains and fixing punctures for them, their friends and their friends friends. I don't mind it, really.

Top Bottom