Are you ever tempted to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Arch said:
Some friends and I once discussed the idea of setting up a guerilla bike maintenance group - swooping on bike racks, fixing stuff and running off...

Wearing balaclavas for full effect of course....
Good idea *dons ninja suit*

Cheddar George

oober member
i'm with MAZ on this one.
My sons friends.
My wifes friends.
Normally i just inflate the tyres while they're not looking, but i have rotated the saddle on one lads bike by about 35 degrees to get it pointing in the right direction !

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Quite often. I also often end up fixing/fettling my mates and there wives/kids bikes as well. On a similer vein, I get the urge to tell people that their cycling position and set up is so bad that with a few simple changes it could be so much more comfortable and faster. I haven't plucked up the courage to yet, as I don't want to get slapped or punched.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had it done to me and I didn't appreciate it...:sad: a cyclist I asked a simple question about adjusting the gears - just a how do I do it... came back to my bike to find that he had fiddled with it ...... without asking first. Unfortunately he made it far worse and I had to take it to a bike shop to sort out.... (this was before I found all you lot). So if you are going to fiddle with someone else's bike then make sure you know what you are doing.

That said - the number of times I feel like carrying some oil for lending to other folk to lubricate their chains:smile:.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
summerdays said:
I've had it done to me and I didn't appreciate it...xx( a cyclist I asked a simple question about adjusting the gears - just a how do I do it... came back to my bike to find that he had fiddled with it ...... without asking first. Unfortunately he made it far worse and I had to take it to a bike shop to sort out.... (this was before I found all you lot). So if you are going to fiddle with someone else's bike then make sure you know what you are doing.

That said - the number of times I feel like carrying some oil for lending to other folk to lubricate their chains:).

there's a bloke at work with a carbon fiber spesh tarmac with a RUSTY CHAIN.:angry::angry: ffs, if i could afford something like that, i'd never let the chain get like that. i keep meaning to pack my little bottle of finish line to sort it out.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Dayvo said:
No, but I tend to point out to 'cyclists' (particularly elderly women) that their tyres could do with inflating and explain why!

i often do that too, if I come up behind someone i will always notice if their wheel isnt true and will mention it to them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mainly my son's friends - one of the poor kids said her dad couldn't find the puncture (newish bike) - I said I'd take a look at it, but she said it was OK - never seen the bike again - must have hated it.

Fixed a few friends and family's bikes - one of my mates cheapo MTB was in a bit of a state, and he asked me to take a look - took a few hours - it was a state.... got bought a pint for it though !

purpleR

Guru
LOVE the idea of a rookie guerilla ninja puncture warrior. You can come swooping down from the roof on a wire, donned in black lycra and a balaclava...

<gravelly voice>
.... and all because... the lady loves.....
<even more gravelly>
milk tray.

i think fixing other peoples bikes is a very kind thing, that would encourage the occasional rider (me) to ride more. and join a forum, and maybe in the future, fix someone elses.

BUT WHY COULDNT ONE OF YOU LOT COME ACROSS MY CRAPPY BIKE!!!!!

it needs new front gear cog, new rear cassette and chain, a new gripshift lever, and a good set-up. I could arrange to leave it in a bike rack you use...:angry: but first i need to know where to leave it (and when) :biggrin::biggrin:"pretty please:biggrin::biggrin:- with icing on top..

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I've oiled the odd chain. It restores the balance for the parts I've liberated from abandoned bikes on uni bike racks!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

Is that sort of thing allowed?? I fear a trip to the local plod stop and stories in the local and national press would abound:ohmy:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
dantheman said:
i think fixing other peoples bikes is a very kind thing, that would encourage the occasional rider (me) to ride more. and join a forum, and maybe in the future, fix someone elses.

it needs new front gear cog, new rear cassette and chain, a new gripshift lever, and a good set-up. I could arrange to leave it in a bike rack you use...:biggrin: but first i need to know where to leave it (and when) :biggrin::biggrin:"pretty please:biggrin::biggrin:- with icing on top..

Would Sir prefer Record or Dura-Ace?
[/Jeeves]

Top Bottom