Are you going vegan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Have a read of this if you’re think of going vegan.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamin-b12-or-folate-deficiency-anaemia/

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A typical evening meal in our omnivorous house too! I also do a mean Masala Dosa and Sambhar! Meera Sodha is my Guru. But I like my Dosa cooked in Ghee.

Now interestingly, the Ethical Vegan who has won the first part of his case, says that he chooses to walk rather that take the bus because the bus might kill insects is but one step from a Jain diet The Jain cuisine is completely vegetarian and also excludes underground vegetables such as potato, garlic, onion etc, to prevent injuring small insects and microorganisms; and also to prevent the entire plant getting uprooted and killed (Wiki)
Ie his ethical stance seems self inconsistent in comparison.

Well, that was delicious, though I say so myself.

Now I would post a picture of the feast, but as part of #nolongeratwatuary month, I've given up posting pictures of my meals on line.

Am I going vegan? No.

Although I've had some absolutely stunning vegan food, but equally, I've had stuff where I'd much rather eat the wet cardboard it resembles. That, however, is true of all food - there's some great stuff out there, and there are some real clunkers.

I do eat a lot less meat than I used to - I would much rather have less of a better quality, higher welfare and far better tasting product, than a plate piled high with intensively-reared and often highly processed meat. And in cooking from scratch, I do tend to make the meat that I do have go further e.g. in enchiladas or pasta bakes or stretching out mince with lentils or mushrooms etc. I really do love vegetarian food though, and I may go several days without eating meat. And you just don't think about it.

IMHO it's all about having a good plate of food in front of you, regardless of whether it's veggie, vegan or otherwise. Good food is good food. If it tastes great, it goes in nicely. :hungry:

I don't think I could give meat up entirely though, likewise with eggs, dairy and fish. But when I compare the contents of my trolley to those of the other yellow sticker regulars, I have, by some considerable margin, far more fruit and veg than the others, and very little in the way of prepared / processed food.

Perhaps vegan is kinder for the planet, but tackling food waste is equally better for the environment.

I hate food waste - that's something that really gets my goat...

pjd57

Veteran
Haven't ate meat in 38 years.
Decided to ditch eggs, dairy etc a year ago.
It's a bit more awkward than just stopping meat.
I won't claim to be " vegan" yet.
At home I am but eating out is still a problem at times.
Most places have veggie options but some are being a bit slow at moving on to vegan.
It's very noticeable that all the big players who make money from serving food are falling over themselves to grab the market.
The smaller places need to catch up quick.

Milzy

Guru
Not really each to his own, is it? Industrial fishing and meat production affects everybody negatively, not just the consumer. “Like” sounds a bit selfish as a justification.
If a million people become vegan tomorrow, it wouldn't hardly effect the industrial farming of animals. You'd need super big numbers world wide which will never happen. If it did happen all those fields will become concrete jungles of housing anyway in time. If people can stop eating meat & dairy then maybe they can stop using fossil fuels too.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
If a million people become vegan tomorrow, it wouldn't hardly effect the industrial farming of animals.
It would for two reasons. The first is that millions fewer animals would be processed through what are still inappropriately called ‘farms.’ That may be a drop in the ocean, but it still matters. The second is that old argument about normalising behaviours and attitudes. While Vegans are 1% they are cranks and oddballs. When they are 5% they are a business opportunity. Go beyond that and it is no longer a ‘lifestyle choice’ and becomes completely mundane.
If it did happen all those fields will become concrete jungles of housing anyway in time.
Industrial meat production doesn’t involve much in the way of fields unless you are going to include vast areas of bulldozed rainforest in the definition. I understand the argument that livestock farming doesn’t have to be environmentally damaging and cruel, but the fact is that as currently carried out, globally it mostly is.
If people can stop eating meat & dairy then maybe they can stop using fossil fuels too.
Yes, they can. Hard to cut it out completely but easy enough to choose to reduce, and becoming easier.

Some land is unsuitable for growing anything other than animals. What else can you grow on the moors? Or steep hillsides. And grass reduces soil erosion and possibly reverse it.
How can anybody live without a BLT. Just had a SLT.

Some land is unsuitable for growing anything other than animals. What else can you grow on the moors? Or steep hillsides. And grass reduces soil erosion and possibly reverse it.
Trees. You know, like what historically grew on Britain's hillsides before we cut them all down, and which would return if we were to stop heather burns, sheep overgrazing and grouse shoots.

Grazed land is terrible for soil erosion and water retention.

Trees. You know, like what historically grew on Britain's hillsides before we cut them all down, and which would return if we were to stop heather burns, sheep overgrazing and grouse shoots.

Grazed land is terrible for soil erosion and water retention.
"Grazed land is terrible for soil erosion and water retention"?
What bollocks. You are telling me that moorland doesn't hold water?
Wheat is better at reducing soil erosion than grass?
Are you smoking grass?
Most moorland for instance around Manchester has minimal heather and are definitely not over grazed by sheep. Nor is there much in the way of grouse shooting on the aforementioned.
We are talking about food production you can't eat trees.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I did try a Greggs vegan sausage roll this week. Chatted to the server, who said many customers don't believe it's not meat.
Well I don't know what's wrong with their taste buds ; to me it had a disgusting aftertaste; not something I'll ever eat again.
And why would a committed vegan want to eat something that is mimicking the cooked flesh of a dead animal? I guess it's all a marketing ploy.

But then I've always enjoyed cooking meals from scratch, and enjoy a wide ranging diet including plenty of veggies from our allotments. Plenty of our meals are vegan & vegetarian, but we also enjoy fish & meat (but with an increasing eye on its provenance).

I'd happily see a ban of factory food, but I wonder what that would do to costs? Perhaps a tax on processed and "live" food in order to subside natural plant foods?

Top Bottom