Are you loyal to a particular cycle brand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I bought my first bike after over 30 years without last year, it was a Dawes Galaxy an '96, I think. I bought it to go through the woods and towpath riding, I know, I know, how stupid can you get? But I didn't know any better, I was suprised how slippery things were and how often I came to a full stop with clogged up mudguards.:tongue:

It was a tough thing so so I bough a Discovery 201 and gave that a massive amount of abuse, started to take my duaghter out on a tag-a-long so bought a Dawes MTB, sold the Discovery, missed it, bought another, got fitter and decided to venture further afield and I am now on the look out for a Galaxy.

I still know nack all but I do know that they are tough and nothing has failed, all I've done is replace brake pads and oil the things.

asterix

Comrade Member
If the product works, maybe.

I am currently very impressed with my Lidl:ohmy: cycle shoes which performed well as my footwear for the Raid Pyrenean and still look in fine condition.

I'd like some more expensive ones, but Bank Manager, she say NO:sad:.

wafflycat

killiekosmos said:
I'm with you on this PP.

I was hoping they might sponsor me. I'd be happy to model their gear (in XL) :biggrin:

Loads of Aldi & Lidl clothing in this household. It's because of the toonas spent on the offspring's racing equipment, so there's little left of dear old Ma & Pa to spend on themselves.

As regards bikes, I have two Bianchis... and I prefer Campag.

barq

I think some companies inspire brand loyalty totally independently of their product quality. For example I've got Trek, Kona and On One bikes. Despite liking the frames equally, I'm much more interested in On One (and to a certain extent Kona) than Trek. I suppose its to do with the values I associate with brands rather than the bikes themselves. On One is a much more personable company than Trek.

When it comes to clothing, once I find something of good fit and durability I tend to make repeat purchases (e.g. Endura). In the case of shoes there is so much variability in size that I tend to always buy the same brand (Gaerne) even if it costs a little bit more money.

I also take into account after-sales service, so in many instances I'm distributor loyal rather than brand loyal. All things being equal I'd rather buy brands stocked by distributors I've had positive experiences with (e.g. Paligap, Extra UK).

The other thing which makes me brand loyal is that I do like compatibility between parts. So all my MTBs use the same headset (FSA), because that means they use the same crown-race and that means I can swap forks about. Likewise parts from the same brand normally look good together - or at least there is a certain coherence to the aesthetics of the bike!

My name is Mickle and I am a label queen.
Rocky Mountain, Oakley, Sidi, SRAM, Campag, Berghaus, Mavic, Easton, Selle Italia, RaceFace, Goldtech, Time, SRP, Topeak, PearlIzumi, Hope......

Top Bottom