1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you loyal to a particular cycle brand?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sore Thumb, 9 Jul 2007.

1. Sore Thumb

Sore Thumb Veteran

I normally buy what I feel is best for the price I can afford. For some items of cycling hardware I will buy from a particular brand. For pedals I normally buy crankbrothers. For saddles i'm trying to get a specialized toupe for all my bikes. For clothing I must say that I am been pushed towards Gore with a bit of Pearl Izzumi.

So do you get your bike, equipment and clothing from the same company? I know someone has because ive seen you when I've been out riding. :blush:

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

got some companies that i really like to use.
    Endura for clothes, spesh for shoes, Park for tools, Crank Bros for pedals.
    and without trying to provoke this, shimano for parts.

Its strange, but certain companies will never get my business again, due to shonky parts and service.

The companies that give reliable good service are worth sticking by imo

3. Sore Thumb

Sore Thumb Veteran

Oh yes, you are quite right, Specialized for Shoes. I have three pairs.

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Although I do have some different makes or brands my favorites are Shimano for gears, pedals, etc. Castelli for shorts and tops, Colnago is my No.1 bike but I find the Giant range also very good. Shimano or Sidi for shoes. FSA for handlebars and stems.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I have been very impressed with Specialized for bikes, clothing, components and shoes. There's nothing yet that they've let me down on.

On the tools front, I find Park overpriced. There are cheaper makers around for comparable quality. Ice Toolz are way better imo.

6. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Shimano is far easier to get hold of on a day to day basis, so I tend to stay with them. Only Giant bikes so far (more because of budget than anything else - i'd love a wilier or a van nicholas), specialized accessories as they tend to be a bit cheaper. Clothing is mixed.

7. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

Until last month all my clothing was De Marchi, which I rated as quite good gear. However, I then treated myself to Assos bibs and top and have been persuaded that the cost is worth it.

8. for MTBs it's Orange.

for road bikes it's probably Pegoretti now, although i doubt i'll afford another one, but the one i have is the perfect bike.

for clothing... Prendas do good stuff, as do Groundeffect. i love Buffs. i buy jerseys on how much i like the design/colour, but i do have a soft spot for Euskadi and Italia ones.

Defeet socks are good, as are Prendas ones.

other than that... Oakley glasses.

L

9. I like Shimano kit, but only cos it's what I'm familiar with. I tend to like older style steel frames, but I like anything I can pick up cheaply or fish out of a skip. I just tend to buy whatever's reasonably cheap (within quality imits) at the time.

10. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Mmm yes, I have a pair of oakleys, which I would recommend to anyone, I've had them for 8 years and they still look and feel good. If you have a bit of money in your pocket, then you can't go wrong by investing in a pair.

11. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

Aldi??? It's about the only one I can afford :blush:

12. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Giant, Trek and (*ahem*) Dawes :blush: for bikes.

I am saving up for a new road bike and haven't a clue as yet what make it will be - will all depend on what bargains are to be had!

13. orkneyblues

orkneyblues Well-Known Member

Not got an Aldi's in Orkney :?: but we have lidle's :?:
    I did splash out on an Altura jacket, I believe their clothes are fairly good quality for the money.

14. chris42

chris42 New Member

Nike for shoes
    at the moment Trek for bikes

15. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

I like Trek for bikes, partly because I've got one, partly because the customer service you get if you actually email or ring up Trek is fantastic (even if you just want some advice and have no intention of buying a bike)