Are you officially posh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I've got a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 602 S3 stood on £200 Atacama stands (made just down the road in Croft) and use normal QED 79 strand speaker cables (four wires to each speaker though as it is a 'bi-amped' set up)
They were originally 5 metres long but every couple of years I cut the ends off and bare another half inch or so to make fresh connections of un-oxidised copper.

The Turntable is quite posh too though, it's a highly modified Thorens with a 'Thorens' badged Rega RB250 fitted using a 'Stilton Audio' modified Nagaoka MP 11 Boron cartridge, it'd give most LP12's a run for their money.:becool:

I watched a video that popped up on YouTube last night about speakers, there was a set at £200,000 and to be honest they didn't look "all that" really.

A chap was making hand made wooden housings for turntables, cartridge alone was £3k?.

Some people have more money than sense!.

As for the Posh thing, it's the "Pretend Posh" that are the worst. Seen some cringe worthy things in my time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep some 'high end' Hifi companies take the mick but in the case of something like the £200,000 speakers they're probably only gonna be selling a couple of pairs a year.

As for 'pretend posh' look no further than Bang & Olafson, they're not really Hifi more 'music centres' a triumph of design over function, I've come across a couple of them over the years a notable one being a bloke I worked with who was so proud of his 'wireless' speakers. He invited me round for a beer after work and to have a listen when I got there he put something on and TBH it wasn't that special, not only that but there were dirty great mains cables to power the internal amps. Now I don't know about others but I put a lot of effort into isolating my amps from vibration but what do they do, stick em in the speaker cabinet. :laugh:

The advantage he said was "you can put em anywhere, even in another room" but I wouldn't like moving em around as once you've got em in the right place in the room in relation to the chair you really don't want to move them.

Gunk

Guru
I've got a white slimline telephone with last number redial. Does that make me posh?

mine is even posher!

I'm not at all posh, nor ever was posh. But I did used to drive an old Land Rover (how I miss it) and I did used to wear an old Barbour jacket. Both are long gone, and with them the last vestiges of poshness.

I do still call the karzi "the loo" though.

I'm not at all posh, nor ever was posh. But I did used to drive an old Land Rover (how I miss it) and I did used to wear an old Barbour jacket. Both are long gone, and with them the last vestiges of poshness.

I do still call the karzi "the loo" though.

You have a toilet? Now there's proper posh. Some of you will be getting mains gas and indoor plumbing next. :okay:

Top Bottom