Are you oiling or waxing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I couldnt believe I actually asked the cycle mechanic that question. I was even more pleased that Jannie was not standing next to me when I asked it 😊

I I have always oiled my chain but on the advice of my bike mechanic I have decided to try wax for a while. I gave the drive train a thorough cleaning last night and applied the wax. It sounded smooth on my 20km commute this morning.

Is wax becoming the norm now?

Slick

Guru
This will no doubt turn into a long list of those doing the Mickle method, but I've been waxing for a while now and found it to be of particular benefit in the wet. For me, it takes a while to do it right, as you really have to soak the chain to get a good covering.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I wax (chain off, chucked in a pan of hot paraffin wax) and like it as everything stays clean and reports suggest that it yields benefits in terms of reduced friction and increased drivetrain life, although I can't verify these.

On the down side it's a bit more involved that oiling and you need a removable chain, but by the same token you don't need to use degreasers or chain cleaning devices and the whole process is a lot less unpleasant than trying to clean a filthy black chain, rings, cassette and jockey wheels. I don't find it offers any significant corrosion protection and it needs re-application about every 300 miles IME. It kills squeaks well but you do get more mechancial noise / clatter from the chain with increased use.

For the fair weather riding I usually enjoy I'm totally sold tbh. Looking forward to seeing how long my chains and other components last with this method :smile:

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

I couldnt believe I actually asked the cycle mechanic that question. I was even more pleased that Jannie was not standing next to me when I asked it 😊

I I have always oiled my chain but on the advice of my bike mechanic I have decided to try wax for a while. I gave the drive train a thorough cleaning last night and applied the wax. It sounded smooth on my 20km commute this morning.

Is wax becoming the norm now?
When i read the title i thought it was about beards. Have just grown one for the first time in my life. I need to know how to look after it.:laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Oil

Did some experimenting with paraffin wax some years back, due to dusty tracks here, but in recent times the routes I cycle are now mostly paved, so back to using oil. I am lazy with this sort of thing, same with all maintenance I suppose, so my fleet now get a drop of motor oil about once a year whether they need it or not :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oil on the MTB. Easier to clean the drive chain with it. Had to de-grease the chain and cassette yesterday due to the levels of dust at the minute - it would still stick to wax. I used to use wax on the road bikes in summer/dry weather.

byegad

Legendary Member
I tried wax when I was commuting 12 miles each way, the amount of gunk it picked up meant it was an absolute pain to clean it off after prolonged use. I reverted to oil, much simpler, less accumulated crud and no difference in longevity of chains and sprockets.

Top Bottom