Are you oiling or waxing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You can, but for some strange reason no one has done that since 1952.
Probably again for the reason given previous; plus I believe most motorbike chains now use O-rings so wax is potentially less useable / relevant than it was..

Brandane

Legendary Member
Probably again for the reason given previous; plus I believe most motorbike chains now use O-rings so wax is potentially less useable / relevant than it was..
Moved on to "X" rings now apparently. No, I don't know either; but they are supposed to be better - and cost more of course. I recently fitted one to my VFR 800; currently waiting for a Scottoiler to arrive so I can fit it and hopefully extend chain and sprocket life.

SGG on a bike

Scottoiler are great. I wouldn’t have a chain driven bike without one. Not sure what the current range is like as my newest one is 15 years old and going strong, but the double sided nozzle is worth considering. My TDM had a Scotty from new and had first chain and sprockets changed at 28k miles, second at 48k miles and still ongoing. One thing I did notice both times was that it was the front sprocket that had worn. Rear and chain still looked relatively unworn by comparison. I use X Ring chains without issues.

Top Bottom