Are you religious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rev

1582570.jpg

Christ on a bike!

Rev

IMG_6064a.jpg

The Five Buddhist observances with an extra one!

Si_

Regular
I beg to differ, lots of people have defined the term God.

Ok, so perhaps that should have read, no has as yet successfully defined the meaning of the term God or the noun, in as much as a definition of the word and its meaning is as varied and open to interpretation as the people who are doing the defining of it.

If one accepts or wishes to investigate the theory that "God created man in his own image", the logically then if one wants to understand "God" better, there are two avenues of study:

Study God
Study Man

since God isn't readily available to interview and theres a wealth of data regarding "Man" i wussed out and took the route thats simpler and more easy to quantify in experimental and evidential terms. Helpfully this can also be used when investigating the question "did man create God"

and why is it that evolution is problematic from a Christian or any other POV? there are many continuums in life. Evolution is just one.

I was once asked (by an RE teacher) can one be a scientist and a christian.

"yes" i replied

"but how? the theories are contradictory."

science deals with the question of "how" religion onthe other hand is asking the question "why"

Thus they can co exist, and one can hold both religious and scientific beliefs.

Si_

Regular
Heres a question, can you be religious, yet not beleive in the doctrine of a given faith?

religious, or spiritual?

I regularly fill in forms that ask for my religion as "Jedi" though brought up a catholic, and i still have the odd conversation with "my god" but would rather ride my bike ona sunday morning than sit in a big draughty hall.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If one accepts or wishes to investigate the theory that "God created man in his own image", the logically then if one wants to understand "God" better, there are two avenues of study:

Study God
Study Man
if one wishes to investigate the theory - presumably with a view to valdating or disproving it - then studying Man will not get one very far unless one also studies God to see if there's a match. Otherwise one is begging the question.
(If you accept the theory then yes, you can study man to find out about god. But not if you're trying to investigate it. if you're going to use logic to reason about this stuff it helps to be clear about what the premises are and what the deductions are)

Si_

Regular
"since God isn't readily available to interview" and as he/she/it is a non existent concept it is very unlikely to happen.

oh i wasn't arguing the existence or otherwise just pointing out the difficulties from a scientific study point of view. it would seem you're in the "man created God" camp though lol

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
oh i wasn't arguing the existence or otherwise just pointing out the difficulties from a scientific study point of view. it would seem you're in the "man created God" camp though lol
I am in the Michael Moorcock camp within the Eternal Champion universe where it is postulated that "man creates the gods he needs" problem is in Michaels universe the buggers become real and prey on man.

Moorcocks gods are in fantasy books and "our" gods are also in fantasy books.

Si_

Regular
if one wishes to investigate the theory - presumably with a view to valdating or disproving it - then studying Man will not get one very far unless one also studies God to see if there's a match. Otherwise one is begging the question.
(If you accept the theory then yes, you can study man to find out about god. But not if you're trying to investigate it. if you're going to use logic to reason about this stuff it helps to be clear about what the premises are and what the deductions are)

Indeed, the outcome of one is dependent on the other. Therefore the result is very much linked to the original POV something i alluded to earlier.

as ever i refer to a film quote..."its huge mistake to theorise without data, as one inevitably twists facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts".

BUT, heres the rub, one cannot truly study God, only what man says of God. thus one is not actually studying God at all, rather its more akin to doing a literature review on God than anything else. the only medium available for direct and quantifiable study is that generated by Man, thus any data comparison would be flawed and the theory of "god created man in his own image" is therefore impossible to both prove or disprove. a bit like Schrödinger's cat.

Rev

Is that in India somewhere? Panch/Pancha means 'five' in Punjabi/Urdu/Hindi.
Panch Sila is Pali although Hindi Urdu and Punjabi have a lot of similarities (apart from script) Panj/Punj is Urdu/Punjabi/Hindu. Of course that's phonetic so it can be Panch also. Shabash:smile: I don't know if it's India it could be anywhere as the Official language of the Buddhist Cannon was written first In Pali so it is used all over, especially by Theravadins.
Kya aap Hindi Bolte Hain?

Top Bottom