Are you religious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Anyhow, while you lot have beensquabbling, my toe-nail collection is much better after a clean and tidy. I had quite a few more than I thought. An evening away from CC well spent it seems.

Time for a spot of resurrection. ^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2377146, member: 1314"]The Christian Church has no right to impose it's beliefs on others. I refer back to my post about going to school as a 6 year old.[/quote]
I agree. But then you didn't go to school in a Church did you? ;) Impose is a funny word though. Anyway let's run with it ... The state imposes Christian, specifically Anglican, beliefs on state school children in England and Wales. Don't like it? Vote in a government that will change that.

Meanwhile shed loads of parents send their non-Christian non-Catholic kids to Aided Catholic schools in the expectation they will be exposed to Christian beliefs there. Why might that be?

I agree. But then you didn't go to school in a Church did you? ;) Impose is a funny word though. Anyway let's run with it ... The state imposes Christian, specifically Anglican, beliefs on state school children in England and Wales. Don't like it? Vote in a government that will change that.

Meanwhile shed loads of parents send their non-Christian non-Catholic kids to Aided Catholic schools in the expectation they will be exposed to Christian beliefs there. Why might that be?
God only knows. Enlighten us, Greg.

Davidc

Guru
I agree. But then you didn't go to school in a Church did you? ;) Impose is a funny word though. Anyway let's run with it ... The state imposes Christian, specifically Anglican, beliefs on state school children in England and Wales. Don't like it? Vote in a government that will chan

More likely the expectation is that those schools will provide a good education in non-religious subjects.

I'll accept that you may know otherwise from research data I haven't seen.

When my children were at school I didn't take any action to remove them from RE lessons, and I don't suppose many people do.

Thomk

Guru
More likely the expectation is that those schools will provide a good education in non-religious subjects.

I'll accept that you may know otherwise from research data I haven't seen.

When my children were at school I didn't take any action to remove them from RE lessons, and I don't suppose many people do.

I certainly wouldn't. It's such an important part of our history and culture that the more my children learn about it the better. In my school at least, and I suspect generally, an RE lesson these days is nothing like a sermon or bible study group.

I certainly wouldn't. It's such an important part of our history and culture that the more my children learn about it the better. In my school at least, and I suspect generally, an RE lesson these days is nothing like a sermon or bible study group.
Interesting comment. I know nothing of modern education, but I don't remember ever being subjected to either...just modest debate, filling in the time between, say, lunch and the Afro-American Music Society. I speak of 1966-73, ergo memories are dim, nay nigh-on invisible. Cripes. I may even be religious - I've forgotten! :smile:

At the local comprehensive in the early 70's our RE lessons were basically bible study (and yes you did go to hell if you weren't a Christian), with no discussion allowed. When we had a test and a couple of us answered 'egg & chips' to 'what did Jesus feed the 5000' we were caned.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

It has been 10 years since I was at school and at that point, RE lessons were not a bible study, in fact they were more a lesson in world religion. Which, IMO, is possibly one of the better lessons you actually learn in school because religion is a massively influential factor in most cultures so the lesson goes a long way to understanding other cultures or at least being aware of them and knowing that other cultures indeed exist outside of your small town where even all of the staff in the local Chinese takeaway are all white British and the only Indian boy you have ever seen gets called "Punjab" or "Permanent pinky" by all the rough kids!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm not sure how religious studies helps children to understand the history or culture of any country, these lessons are still about the teachings of christ, creationism etc..

I don't allow my children to do religion in school but my youngest when 4, I allowed him to be in the religion class to help him with the language, I knew he'd understand very little of the lesson, plus it helped the school, as they didn't have to find someone else to look after my son..
until one day I happened to see the religion book on a parent-teacher day, there was a picture of a child brushing his teeth with god in the mirror telling the child that god knows if you don't brush your teeth,
so that was that, I stopped my son from doing religion, I just can't allow this sort of mumbo jumbo into their lives..

edit... I should add catholic teachings..

It was not like that when I was at school! I did RE through GCSE and also after school to AS level and it did not resemble anything such as you describe.

BTW I choose to do so because it was interesting, despite having "sorted it" as someone previously put it in this thread by that point in my life.

avalon

Guru
I'm not sure how religious studies helps children to understand the history or culture of any country, these lessons are still about the teachings of christ, creationism etc..

I don't allow my children to do religion in school but my youngest when 4, I allowed him to be in the religion class to help him with the language, I knew he'd understand very little of the lesson, plus it helped the school, as they didn't have to find someone else to look after my son..
until one day I happened to see the religion book on a parent-teacher day, there was a picture of a child brushing his teeth with god in the mirror telling the child that god knows if you don't brush your teeth,
so that was that, I stopped my son from doing religion, I just can't allow this sort of mumbo jumbo into their lives..

edit... I should add catholic teachings..
You do of course allow them to do the Christmas and Easter mumbo jumbo. Don't you? And then justify it with more mumbo jumbo about pagan festivals, tradition, family time, the holiday season, Easter bunny etc.

Rev

I loved R.E even in Catholic schools, I just found it all fascinating. I didn't believe a word but loved learning about what others believed oh and I loved the stories. Still love the stories still fascinated by beliefs.
Of course its a long time since I was at school but the few Modern R.e lessons I have seen also fascinate me. Love it:angel:

Top Bottom