Aren't cars rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4652410, member: 259"]"Less" is the answer you're looking for!

Loved Minis and even had a Cooper S, but they weren't luxury sedans and they were pigs to work on.[/QUOTE]

I had a metro which is broadly similar albeit much less appealing and it was an arse to work on. A mine would have been even worse. Took me all weekend to get the engine out, and another (some time later) to put the mended one back having previously done a complete engine swap on my mk2 cortina in an hour and a half

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I had a bright orange Mini 850 when I was at College and we got five adults in ok.

They had to get out at the speed bumps at the St Brycedale campus though cos I couldn't get over them otherwise

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The attraction isn't the jumping on a bike and having to pedal - it's in where it can take you, how gracefully and how easy it is to use once you've learned - it's as easy as riding a bike!

When I'm creaking and wobbling along the road, knees cracking on every revolution, gut resting on the crossbar, stinging sweat blinding my eyes, snot dripping over my chin and my heart hammering a Zulu wardance, I'll try to remember to think graceful thoughts.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I drove my friends Toyota hybrid thingie. Whenever you select reverse, it beeps with a dumb annoying shriek. I hate it.
The Alfa Romeo does it too. It doesn't even respect the volume setting on the dashboard menus. Awful feature, up there with beeping indicators when a towbar is connected.

They are fun and good to drive, though never owned one. Had a drive of a mate's souped up one: twice the horse power and half the weight of a normal one. It was quite something. He could literally spin it on the spot and I've been in it when he spun it (totally under control) on a single track road - inch perfect with stone walls each side. He became British Champion at "autotesting" in it - which is doing spins round cones in a car park.

On a more practical note you could get 4 adults in more or less comfort in a mini -yet would struggle to do that in a rather larger modern car.

Blimey - even a bog standard Mini isn't a slouch off the lights, but that sounds right mental. :eek:

Minis were alright after they changed to wind up windows. Those sliding jobs were a royal pain in the arse, it took ages to get the get them just right so a gale wasn't blowing in and if you altered your direction of travel by more than 3 degrees you had to start all over again.

Ah, you mean Mk3 & Clubman onwards then... :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A moggie is on my list for the classic car collection. My preference would be the van version, both for rarity and practicality. Never driven a moggie though have ridden in a few. A mate had a former police dog van version. That said, maybe an A35 might be even cooler.
I was at university with a farmer's son who owned a Morris 1000 pick-up. He equipped the top of the drivers compartment with a couple of Cibie spotlights. After a few pints of night-time stiffeners,, he would drive with a couple of his mates to one of his father's farms. Two pump action maniacs would stand leaning over the cab, blasting at any bunny that hove into sight as they bounced and jolted across the pastures. They would return to their beds with the cargo deck heaped with dead rabbits which they sold to the local game butcher the next day.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4651863, member: 259"]We always kept a couple of cans of diethyl ether starter fluid in the Mini's boot - useful for if you couldn't park it on a hill :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
You are Mad Max and ICMFP.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had a bright orange Mini 850 when I was at College and we got five adults in ok.
I had the van version when I lived in a shared house - it was known as the pubmobile: two in the front, four in the back, every night. The knobs came off the rear doors, and I replaced them with brass ones from B&Q. Brilliant little car, terrific fun to drive. A tad sluggish fully loaded...

A moggie is on my list for the classic car collection. My preference would be the van version, both for rarity and practicality. Never driven a moggie though have ridden in a few.
A mate had a former police dog van version.

That said, maybe an A35 might be even cooler.
l'd sell the Panda (2nd car - not my choice!) in a heartbeat, & have a Traveller

An A30 (or was it an A35?) was enough for James Hunt

And, also Wallace & Gromit, in 'Curse Of The Were-Rabbit'

Levo-Lon

Guru
Most fun i ever had in a car was driving my clubman 1000 with 3 and a bit brakes working.lol
little dodgem and very nippy.
I changed the clutch in situ..now thats a challenge i can tell you but it cost about 20 quid so cheap....i put a second had clutch in my avenger for 7 quid on my back in the snow..imagine doing that with your free lander!!

subaqua

What’s the point
The Alfa Romeo does it too. It doesn't even respect the volume setting on the dashboard menus. Awful feature, up there with beeping indicators when a towbar is connected.

you mean the legal requirement to advise the trailer lights are working, like the one that makes blown indicators tell tale flash faster when trailer not plugged in

Construction and use Regs .......

raleighnut

Legendary Member
l'd sell the Panda (2nd car - not my choice!) in a heartbeat, & have a Traveller

An A30 (or was it an A35?) was enough for James Hunt

And, also Wallace & Gromit, in 'Curse Of The Were-Rabbit'
I worked with a guy who had a moggy thou traveller, the big-ends were shot when I met him and after a bit we were talking about it he said " Oh I've got another engine in the garage for it but I'm just running this one into the ground before I swap em" 5yrs later Mick's car was still rattling like a bag of nails on the same engine.

Top Bottom