Aren't cars rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So I noticed a headlight had failed, so I fitted the spare. The car promptly rewarded me by blowing the *other* headlight bulb. :rolleyes: So now I need to go get new spare bulbs because that was my last but I shouldn't really use the car with defective lights to get there. Not that I use it for local shopping anyway.

At least all three local car spares shops are reasonably accessible by bike because they also sell cycle spares - and our car is one where you simply open the bonnet, peel off the rubber boot, twist and remove the bulb holder and unclip the bulb. Some cars make you reach into the wheel well past the filthy wheel or remove the bumper - I'm surprised that's legal. And why are we still on energy-inefficient short-life halogens? :eek: Bicycles have good legal LED headlights but they're not available for most cars yet, as far as I can tell. No wonder motorists are jealous of good bike lights, eh?

Then the head-up display says it needs servicing within a few miles. Cars are flipping big and complicated now so I don't have the tools to do it myself, plus it needs a computer interface to reset the servicing countdown so the display goes away. :angry:

And don't get me started on the expensive oil it wants. 10W40 isn't good enough for these modern cars! :cursing: It's more expensive than the oil for some of my bikes and it wants a lot more of it, although thankfully it doesn't seem to use it up any faster.

But anyway... until I get new bulbs, I've a multi-thousand-pound snow protector for the driveway it stands on! :crazy:

Cars - you just can't trust them to work properly when you need them! Do so many of us keep them around mainly because the public transport system is generally messed-up in this country, such as shutting down at 6pm outside of major towns?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Get a Toyota!

10 year old Corolla; 96k miles; 1 headlight bulb and 1 number plate light in all that time. (Awaits a series of blown bulbs as a reward for my smugness).

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do so many of us keep them around mainly because the public transport system is generally messed-up in this country, such as shutting down at 6pm outside of major towns?
'Tis indeed part of the reason for me, but I have just given up my 25 mile each way commute and started a job which is commutable by bike, even for me :laugh:, as it is 0.9 miles away. In fact it is hardly worth getting the bike out as I can walk it in 10 minutes. If this job turns out to be a keeper then I can't see me bothering to replace the now ageing Toyota when (if) it gives up the ghost.
I have a motorbike for transport when in a hurry, or just fancy something a bit faster than pedal power. Supermarket within walking distance, as is train and bus connections. I will celebrate the day when I cease to be held to ransom by HM Treasury's policy on fuel duty and VAT on said fuel duty; VED on a low mileage petrol user being more than a high mileage diesel polluter; and insurance (although to be fair that's pretty cheap for me these days).

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a (very reliable) Rover 75. BUT when the headlight bulb failed I had to take it to the garage so they could put it one the ramp to get at the bulb. 3 times that happened...............:cursing::cursing::cursing:

Lonestar

Veteran
I see plenty of vehicles out there with faulty lights.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had a (very reliable) Rover 75. BUT when the headlight bulb failed I had to take it to the garage so they could put it one the ramp to get at the bulb. 3 times that happened...............:cursing::cursing::cursing:
Wow. Our old 25 wasn't much trouble. The design gurus had combined the rubber boot and twist clip which was a bit :huh: but still possible to do at the roadside if a bulb went while driving.

I see plenty of vehicles out there with faulty lights.
Stupidly difficult bulb replacement or motorists who just don't care? The same people who would cycle unlit?

Cars are great, I would like to see parking spaces made smaller though.
Don't we need to make the cars smaller first? I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any sort of limits in the United Nations regulations on this... but then I guess the USA calls anything smaller than a SUV a "compact" :wacko:

Wow. Our old 25 wasn't much trouble. The design gurus had combined the rubber boot and twist clip which was a bit :huh: but still possible to do at the roadside if a bulb went while driving.

Stupidly difficult bulb replacement or motorists who just don't care? The same people who would cycle unlit?

Don't we need to make the cars smaller first? I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any sort of limits in the United Nations regulations on this... but then I guess the USA calls anything smaller than a SUV a "compact" :wacko:

If we want cars smaller, we need to start by removing the impact bars, and the multitude of airbags in them. I have 7 in the front alone!

Maybe people will slow down then too.

screenman

Legendary Member
If we want cars smaller, we need to start by removing the impact bars, and the multitude of airbags in them. I have 7 in the front alone!

Maybe people will slow down then too.

I think we might also need to start making people smaller.

I am not sure removing airbags will make people drive slower, or motorbikes would be going at walking pace.

Top Bottom