Aren't cars rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What in hell is 'limp mode'?

When the car detects a serious fault, so goes into a safety low power mode to protect the engine from further damage.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I hate the way "limp mode" is activated instantly; very scary when driving in the outside lane of a busy motorway and suddenly find engine power greatly reduced. Gave me a real "brown trousers" moment....

No, a proper brown trousers moment is when the manifold pressure sensor fails on a Ford Focus.

The engine just stops - no limp mode or default setting, the ECU doesn't care that you're doing 80 in the outside lane of the M6 at the time.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, a proper brown trousers moment is when the manifold pressure sensor fails on a Ford Focus.

The engine just stops - no limp mode or default setting, the ECU doesn't care that you're doing 80 in the outside lane of the M6 at the time.
A similar effect can be had with an engine seizure on Seat Ibizas when the cooling system enjoys a sudden catastrophic failure. I think the clutch then failsafed, allowing it to coast to narrow shoulder of the A47, but I wasn't driving it at that moment.

Interesting that a lot of the favourite cars are old models. Should I have titled this "aren't MODERN cars rubbish?"

Austin Allegro. *cough* *cough*

Back in my undergrad uni days, several guys at the uni motor club had them, mainly because they were so damn cheap. But then they spent all their time fixing the damn things...

One classic I'd love to have (or at the very least drive) is a Sunbeam Talbot Lotus.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When the car detects a serious fault, so goes into a safety low power mode to protect the engine from further damage.
Ah. Thanks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember my 1968 Triumph vitesse
My first car was my mum's Triumph Herald - same thing but with a smaller engine. Lovely, lovely car. Absolute rust bucket - I had to replace both doors, neither colour matching the original or each other - but couldn't do much about the floor well. You could see the road whizzing by if you looked down, and in heavy rain your feet got wet. Lovely to drive. Sadly one of the wheels fell off, and at that point I decided it was probably best to call it a day.

Top Bottom