Aren't cars rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A service mileage can often be reset by the correct sequence of button pushes and ignition on/off. What car is it?
Citroen Saxos for one, though I think it applies to most cars. Manufacturers don't tell you in the hope you'll keep going to their main stealers to pay nearly three hundred quid for an oil and filter change rather than drive round with a flashing spanner on the dash.

Reactions: mjr
D

Deleted member 1258

My old car failed its MOT this morning and is going for scrap, fortunately I had already brought a replacement.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Citroen Saxos for one, though I think it applies to most cars. Manufacturers don't tell you in the hope you'll keep going to their main stealers to pay nearly three hundred quid for an oil and filter change rather than drive round with a flashing spanner on the dash.

Nissans are the same. Secret menu in the satnav for the service light. You can also run diagnostics with combinations of switching the ignition and or pressing the accelerator. You can Clear airbag lights because the kids have kicked the sensor on the seat (won't go off until reset by dealer or magic buttons).

U

User32269

I stopped enjoying cars when you couldn't fix almost anything with a cheepo socket set, screwdriver and pliers. Now need to be a contortionist with a masters degree in astro physics to replace your alternator.
Where did the engine go? Pop your bonnet now and all you get to stroke your chin at is a plastic thing and a battery. Bah.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am not sure removing airbags will make people drive slower, or motorbikes would be going at walking pace.
Removing airbags might not make people drive slower, but it might just make them concentrate on the task in hand rather than eat, drink, talk, make phone calls, text, update FaceBook, apply make-up, smoke, pop pills, watch films, etc. etc..
Bikers on the other hand tend to apply themselves fully to their riding. The threat of death or serious injury tends to concentrate the mind.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Had my 21 year old Skoda Favorit for just over three years now and cannot remember when I changed a bulb on the thing...... our VW Touran on the other hand loves bulbs :cursing: Especially rear ones !!!

pplpilot

Guru
[QUOTE 4650903, member: 259"]Ours was ridiculously reliable as well. The rear sliding doors stopped working properly after a few years and Mazda fixed them free of charge out of warranty.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic cars. We have 2, mrs pplpilot has one as do I, sliding doors and 7 seats are a blessing with 3 small children, I chose one as a company car when daughter number 2 came along, mine is just approaching 4 years old and I've done 127,000 miles and It has had a hard life to be fair, never missed a beat. I shall miss it, we have a change in car policy at work now so I don't get to choose what car I have, they are issuing me with a 5 series estate cock mobile. I do hope they don't forget to order the optional indicator pack along with the anti tailgate pack.:laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
You should be able to re set the service indicator. .usually with ignition on Not running press and hold the trip set etc..for 10 seconds to go into reset mode..
google it for your car..

change oil and filters..carry on.....

Levo-Lon

Guru
Alfa Romeo Mito petrol. I'm pretty sure one has to talk to the ECU.

At least its tail lights are LEDs :smile:

It can be done after research but you need a programme for your lappy..so its not easy..

ahh well..cars are rubbish after all..ad now my tablet is missing letters out

Reactions: mjr

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This 60 year old works on new cars mosts days, they are different.
The big problem now is access. I used to happily change starter motors, alternators and drive belts, strip carbs etc without dreaming of going to a dealer. Everything was visible under the bonnet and there was little or nothing in the way of whatever bit needed doing. Now many of the ancillary components have to be attacked from beneath the engine, something in itself made more difficult because cars sit lower to the ground. The last such job I did was an alternator on a Mondeo, an absolute pig of a job whist lying on your back and trying to get a deep socket to bite on a recessed bolt you could not see.

Had my 21 year old Skoda Favorit for just over three years now and cannot remember when I changed a bulb on the thing...... our VW Touran on the other hand loves bulbs :cursing: Especially rear ones !!!

Ooooo, I used to have a Favorit. Was pretty bomb-proof until it finally fell apart. I now have a Felicia - a bit tatty cosmetically, but it's served me well for nearly 10 years. Only major drama was a blown water pump and subsequent failure of the replacement - which the garage replaced FOC as that batch of parts were found to be faulty.

Top Bottom