Aren't pheasants thick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Where I am, there are loads of 'em half-grown and wandering aimlessly in gaggles(?) (what's the collective noun for pheasants?) in the country lanes.
You round a corner and come across a cluster of them and they all scatter running ahead of you, like roadrunner, but not as fast. Of course they can't outrun you and you edge ever nearer. Finally and at the very last moment before you are actually amongst them, it finally dawns on them that they can actually fly and they, as one explode into the air with a flurry of squawking and beating wings.
Idiots!

walker

I'm surprised you've seen live ones, all the ones near me get run over

bonj2

:blush: my bro observes this, how if a pheasant is caught in the middle of the road as you're driving towards it, instead of running at 90 degrees towards the side of the road as any normal animal would, it runs AWAY from the car, i.e. in the same direction as it! I just say, 'well, just overtake it then' (!)

bonj2

Reminds me of a story that happened one morning at my last job... the company was right in the middle of the peak district, and the caretaker chap was a bit of a country bumpkin, he wore cords and the action gilet out of the news of the world, and had a fairly 'ruddy' face. One morning, he came in with a brace of pheasants, and was telling us how he planned to cook them in a pie for him and his wife that weekend, clearly quite proud of his kill.
So I think he felt slightly deflated when I said, "ah, nice! run 'em over on the way in, did you?" :blush: :angry: :biggrin: After a bit of a silence, someone leant over and said quietly to me, "er... I think he shot them."

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
betty swollocks said:
Where I am, there are loads of 'em half-grown and wandering aimlessly in gaggles(?) (what's the collective noun for pheasants?).

Get this, a group of pheasants is called .....a bouquet of...!

(not bucket !)

Edit:- If it's a very large group it's ....a nye of....

domtyler

Über Member
I doubt if pheasants evolved to have great road sense. If you put them in their natural environment and then go and try and catch one you might find that you have to re-evaluate your opinion of them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
take the h out and we've a cracking soapbox topic…

domtyler

Über Member
andy_wrx said:
Can't be that hard.

After all, if a load of p*ssed-out-of-their-brains aristos with shotguns can do it...

Well obviously if you are going to employ firearms then you could say the same about any creature on the planet, including other humans.

Mr. Stilleyedye, A jolly good suggestion sir, would you care to kick it off. :blush:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
betty swollocks said:
Elmer: did you know that off the top of your head?
If you did: virtual plaudits!

I knew the bouquet one, I got told it when living and working in Leicestershire (my immediate response to my mate was "Pish off, you're pulling my plonker"), but it was verified as right.

:blush: I have to admit though, I looked up 'a bouquet of pheasants' and found 'nye' :angry:

See here for all sorts of different grouping names

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Elmer: that's a wonderful site: I've bookmarked it!
I can can bore for England (or Scotland, I'm anglo-Scottish) with my vast amount of mental dross and the trivia contained therein is most welcome:biggrin:.

Top Bottom