Arise, Sir Lewis of Hamilton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m sure LH is a great driver if that’s your thing, but wouldn’t it be a more accurate judge of their skill if they all drove exactly the same car or at least had access to the same tech?

Brandane

Legendary Member
The award is for driving
Time to get the sword out for all those truckers out there then. They probably do a LOT more driving (and in more difficult conditions) than Sir Lewis.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I disagree. He loves this country so much that he lives in Monaco as a tax exile. That's fair enough - I might even do the same in his shoes - but to then accept an honour from the very country he has turned his back on, the very crown to which he has chosen to avoid paying tax, smacks of hypocricy so breathtaking that it amazes even me.
Yes, at least Sir Jim, Mr Dyson, and Sir Phil all had the courtesy to get theirs and then booger off :laugh:

DRM

Guru
Never watched it as every road cycling I have is as dull as dishwater. What makes that one exciting? A few cobbles?
If it wasn’t dull, they wouldn’t spend so much time showing the scenery :whistle:
Several long cobbled sectors, mud, and or dust, no real support from the team cars, the final sprint round the Roubaix velodrome, the history of the race, it’s non stop from start to finish and the fact that even some of the pro’s are terrified of it, makes it a spectacular race

PK99

Legendary Member
Aren’t all cycle races non stop though unless a dose of the trots runs through the peloton? :whistle:

Bloody political activists disrupting sporting events!

Nah, not really impressed by Honours, I’m not sure LH demonstrates much honour to me.
Whilst I enjoy elite athletes and sportspersons, the change of address signifies something which I don’t really agree with.
It illustrates a very similar situation as an Mp changing party or becoming an independent after their election.
It’s a stymieing of the system which works far too much for the individual, rather than the population.
I’m not perfect ( Im a middle-aged white working man) but I’m not sure, we’re I in different shoes, that I would operate in the same manner.

PK99

Legendary Member
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...avoiders-face-being-blocked-from-honours-list

Tax avoiders are being shunned for knighthoods and other honours as authorities clamp down on rewarding people with “poor tax behaviour”, it has been revealed.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brian-reade-knighthood-exiles-taxes-23117002

"We’re now hearing that Boris Johnson has personally intervened to ensure racing driver Lewis Hamilton is knighted in the new year, but his tax behaviour, although entirely legal, is beyond poor"

screenman

Legendary Member
I was impressed by the security shown in the program about Monaco, 1 police officer for every 70 people. I know if I was wealthy I would feel safer living there.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I’m sure LH is a great driver if that’s your thing, but wouldn’t it be a more accurate judge of their skill if they all drove exactly the same car or at least had access to the same tech?
And how many medals would Messi have if he played for Grimsby Town? Hamilton is employed by the best team because he is the best driver.

I don't agree with honours for sportsmen either, but while we have them Hamilton is as worthy as anyone.

Top Bottom