Arkel Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I had a spending spree at Arkel in the recent Black Friday event - when there was 15% off everything. Arkel seems to do this discounting each year now, and without it the pricing would be even more painful.

Anyway, a nice set of GT-54 panniers was in the consignment, and whilst I haven't used them yet, they seem pretty robust, well made and well/innovatively designed, with seemingly good, strong zips. I always like to buy high quality items for cycling matters, and these certainly seem to fit the bill at this (untested) stage.

There are various discussions on other forums on GT-54 panniers, some focusing on their relative merits compared with Ortliebs. My conclusions from reading these are that one is likely to prefer Arkel GT-54s if some or all of the following criteria are important to you:
  • You prefer to organise your gear in an easily accessible and logical way, using the options afforded by having several separate pockets (which are pretty well-conceived and strategically located) - rather than have to rely solely on multiple stuff-sacks for organisation in a single-compartment pannier
  • You like to be able to access the main compartment from more angles than just through a narrowish top opening
  • You aren't obsessed with having fully sealed bags with welded seams etc - and are of the opinion that these aren't particularly desirable anyway as they don't allow wet gear inside to breathe, and can become susceptible to water ingress anyway if you scuff them badly
  • You want a more robust attachment system than Ortliebs provide, with metal hooks (which are plastic-lined to protect racks)
  • You need good capacity - they are pretty big, even without the (detachable) tube pocket
  • You like to have and use high quality equipment
The rain covers are probably essential in the British climate. However, the (removable) internal 'waterproof' liner pockets afford a degree of water resistance in addition to the cordura outer material, so you don't need to stop and whip the covers out at the first drop of rain - but in sustained rain, the internal liner pockets will eventually allow water in through their zips if the covers aren't in place. These pockets are also useful for segregating wet gear from dry, without having to rely on separate drybags. Note the rain covers are only available at additional cost to the panniers themselves.

If the organising, lack-of-welded-seam, and metal-hook aspects above aren't important to you, the Ortliebs are probably a better-value option, as they are a lot cheaper, and many people use and recommend them.

If the factors listed are important, well the Arkels will very likely provide what you need if you're prepared to stump up the cash.

At this point, not yet having actually used them, I'm very pleased with the purchase.....but only time will tell if I might have been better off with something else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
That is most useful thank you. I am anally retentive when it comes to packing so sounds right up my street. I shall investigate more. The current situation complicates things at present which is annoying.

Foghat

Don't get them in red - it seems those fade to an unaesthetic shade of pink in sunny climates (admittedly not a problem in Britain)!

Foghat

This chap has got his system well-honed, and he uses GT-54s. He likes to go fully equipped, rather than in lightweight mode.....

The GT-54 segment of his gear review starts at 17' 00".

Last edited:

Foghat

For example, the suggestion to wrap tent poles in a sleeping mat. My sleeping mat is normally wrapped up by the time the tent comes down - certainly in wet weather. That evening setting up the tent in the rain I need to open my "mat bag" to get my tent poles? No thanks!

Good point! However, between the tube pocket and main section, there is a hidden low pocket that is designed to be used for the tent poles (or other long, slim items) - if storing them in the tube pocket is not desirable.

The tube pocket is also detachable, and can be left at home if not needed. Since the rain cover for the GT-54 is shaped and sized to go over the tube pocket, I also bought a set of rain covers for the T-42 panniers, which are similarly sized to the GT-54s without the tube pocket - that way I have a right-side rain cover for the GT-54 that is the correct size and shape when I don't need the tube pocket (and a spare for the left).

Good point! However, between the tube pocket and main section, there is a hidden low pocket that is designed to be used for the tent poles (or other long, slim items) - if storing them in the tube pocket is not desirable.

The tube pocket is also detachable, and can be left at home of not needed. Since the rain cover for the GT-54 is shaped and sized to go over the tube pocket, I also bought a set of rain covers for the T-42 panniers, which are similarly sized to the GT-54s without the tube pocket - that way I have a right-side rain cover for the GT-54 that is the correct size and shape when I don't need the tube pocket (and a spare for the left).
Yeah, I saw that pocket....but still wouldn't use it for my poles^_^

And you did go on a spending spree!^_^

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm with @HobbesOnTour they look very complicated and with lots of pockets and zips, increase the points of possible failure.

One of the advantages of Ortlieb and Vaude (my choice) is the non existence of seams and zips. This makes them very long lasting as there's less to go wrong. Vaude Aqua Back Plus have an external pocket for those that like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
I have a pair of the Dolphin 32s. I have used them on 4 multi day trips in the UK, several wet days and the insides stayed100% dry.
They seem very well made and fit both of my racks with solid easy to release fittings. Having three daughters who club together for Christmas and birthday presents is handy. :okay:

Well given what he's been getting up to over the last year, his opinion is clearly a very valid one!
^_^
It doesn't matter what panniers I have.....they haven't had any use since March:sad:

I'd happily strap on some black bin bags if it meant I could get rolling again^_^

In the US especially, there's a lot of cycle tourists that use homemade panniers.

As cool as these ones are, it just reminds me how the opportunity and motivation to get out there is far more important than the gear.
At least until it rains^_^

Top Bottom