Arla Foods HGV driver illegally on the phone and in a box junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

Check this guy out. 44tonne Arla Foods HGV

He's on Balham high road during Friday evening rush hour. Heading South at the junction with Bedford hill.

The lights are on red green man for peds. He's in the box junction on his blower.

Emailed Arla, no response yet.

What makes me cross is there are clearly signposted major roadworks ahead, which from his height he would have been aware of. Yet still he's on this blower.

So bloody stupid.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Fluffy said:
There needs to be tougher sanctions for driving whiles on your mobile and it needs to be policed better.
TBH I wouldn't issue a ticket to any HGV or Bus driver caught on their mobile...It would be straight to court....I certainly think they would be very likely to lose their license. Most companies have an instant dismissal policy for drivers using mobile whilst driving:angry:

Vikeonabike said:
TBH I wouldn't issue a ticket to any HGV or Bus driver caught on their mobile...It would be straight to court....I certainly think they would be very likely to lose their license. Most companies have an instant dismissal policy for drivers using mobile whilst driving:tongue:

Somehow I doubt this.

Esp with Van man also.

That's a scary photo and screams the following scenario to me

1) Pedestrian crosses on green man under the line of sight of already distracted driver...
2) Traffic begins to move past the junction, truck being already "sort of" through the lights follows suit...
3) Do I need to describe graphically what happens next?....

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Can you email the photo and the reg over to road safe as well? The company might take it more seriously that way just as with the van driver incident (mentioned on thisislondon). I would also consider filling out a stop smidsy form so they can log it as part of their campaign.

Sheffield_Tiger said:

1) Pedestrian crosses on green man under the line of sight of already distracted driver...
2) Traffic begins to move past the junction, truck being already "sort of" through the lights follows suit...

Yeah I noticed ped there.Lorry driver probably didn't.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
BTW if you've emailed the company it can take up to 48 hours for them to respond, somtimes longer.

Armegatron

Sheffield_Tiger said:

This was my first thought too. Not a nice situation that would come out of this ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
scouserinlondon said:
What makes me cross is there are clearly signposted major roadworks ahead, which from his height he would have been aware of. Yet still he's on this blower.
And they are 3 way lights, he is going to be sitting there for some time!!

User3143 said:
What's the law again on using a mobile phone? And when you are allowed to call?

You must be parked and have the engine switched off?

Bit patchy with the when allowed to call but at a guess during an emergency?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hackbike 666 said:
You must be parked and have the engine switched off?

Bit patchy with the when allowed to call but at a guess during an emergency?
SI 2003 No. 2695

Yes, things do allow for emergencies but since one reports people for breaching things people tend to come back with "yeah but it was an emergency" so the SI amusingly knows this and refers to a 'genuine emergency' ;).

Alan Whicker

I've just reported two drivers on roadsafe for using phones - a silver BMW and a black Audi. I also looked up their reg numbers on mycarcheck. The BMW doesn't exist and the Audi should in fact be a red Toyota Landcruiser ;)

Top Bottom